6.5 oz Corn Sugar priming for a Hefe?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

thompsng

Reaction score
I am going to bottle a hefe tomorrow and am wondering if 6.5 oz of corn sugar will be appropriate for the style and also will not explode. I will be bottling with a normal hand capper, both 22oz and 12oz bottles, and carbonating at around 70 F. I came to this amount based on Palmer's chart, leaving me with about 3.5 vols of CO2.

Thanks for the input!

:mug:

When you say "carbonating" do you mean storing the bottles for carbonation? The chart is meant to be read with the temperature of the beer when bottling, not storage temperature. As the beer warms up, more CO2 is released from solution, requiring more sugar to replace it when carbonation occurs.

Yea, I was reffering to the storage temperature. 70 F would be the temperature of the beer at bottling too.

Sounds good to me, I've pushed about 4 volumes into regular longnecks before without problem.

Back