6.5 gallon carboy in milk crate?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

aprichman

Reaction score
I'm thinking about upgrading from my 3 gallon glass carboys to 6.5 gallons. My 3 gallon carboys are manageable for me to carry by just grabbing on to the glass but I doubt I could get away doing this safely with the bigger size.

I was looking at The Brew Hauler but reading comments about carboys slipping out of the straps, poor stitching, and 6.5 gal. carboys not fitting well gave me some serious doubts.

I have heard of people using milk crates to transport carboys. I'm leaning towards this idea because of the strength and protection that milk crates would provide. Norther Brewer doesn't provide any size specifications for the 6.5 gallon carboys but I have read elsewhere they are ~12" and fit snugly in a milk crate.

Can anyone verify if a 6.5 gallon carboy would fit in a standard milk crate? Also if you have any experience using milk crates to transport carboys I would love to hear your opinions on them.

Cheers :mug:

i have a few different 5 and 6 gallon carboys that seem to fit nicely in old plastic milk crates, it certainly makes it easier to move them around.

I carry my 6.5 gal carboy around... it's manageable, of course, I'm young and virile.

They fit my 6.5 gallon carboys perfectly and are looser on my 5 gallon carboys. I wouldn't use the carboys without the crates.

Latest posts

Back