55 Gallon RO water tank build

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

kickflip_mj

Reaction score
I moved not to long ago and ever since I did this my water quality is garbage. So bad that it makes my beer undrinkable. I went ahead and decided to build an external 55 gal water system for my brewery that will operate with the brewery during autofill operations. I figured I can also use it when I was my car :)

https://www.homebrewtalk.com/f51/my-insane-25-gal-100-percent-hard-plumbed-tri-clover-automated-tippy-build-409516/

A few things I have purchased already:

55 gallon blue drum (held olives and have to get the smell out)
100 gpd RO system
Float switch
20 ft of 1 1/2 tube steel
SSR
1/2 12v valve
Left over march 809 pump
Bulkhead
Simple 2 switch panel
Left over Casters, hose connections, Rolls of wire etc.

This should be a quick and easy build for under $300, probably $500 if you don't have some of the extra parts laying around. Im sure this is needed for a few of you and it would be good for me to document this fun build.

Ill have pictures for you shortly

ImageUploadedByHome Brew1405549870.084836.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Home Brew

Pretty much my exact set up, but I use gravity instead of pumps, switches, etc.
Don't have a high place you can put the tank? I put mine on top of my beer fridge in the garage and piped 1" PVC out. It's amazing how fast a 1" supply line runs.

Pretty much my exact set up, but I use gravity instead of pumps, switches, etc.
Don't have a high place you can put the tank? I put mine on top of my beer fridge in the garage and piped 1" PVC out. It's amazing how fast a 1" supply line runs.

Preferably I'd like to have it done by gravity, I like the idea of it being mobile so I can move it around. (Use it to rinse my car because these water spots are terrible! )

Did your ro system come with a pressure tank? If yes you will have an idea what I am talking about. You can purchase larger pressure tanks like the ones that normally come with an ro system. Look in your local home improvement store. Thanks advantage of using a pressure tank instead of basically a bucket is that it will store the clean water with little chance of failure (float) and you can plumb the water to areas you need it and it will still be under pressure. Since you will not be able to seal the lid on your setup you also risk contamination. I have hard water here also so bad the local car washes have what they call "spot free rinse" the same thing you were talking about for you vehicle. Remember you really only need to rinse the vehicle with this water after you have washed it. Seems like really expensive water. What are the mineral in your water? (you should be able to find out from your water service) If it is dissolved limestone and iron there are water softeners that can take care of both of them. I just know that ro systems usually cost 2 cents or so per gallon. It may not seem like that is expensive but start washing a car with this water and it adds up. http://www.menards.com/main/plumbing/pumps-well-tanks/well-tanks/c-8674.htm here is where I can get tanks and several times a year they have an 11% off sale. Just my 2 cents.

Heck, I just use a 30gal brute trash can (they are food safe) with a $10 float valve at the top and 1/2" ball valve at the bottom. I fill that up the day before sitting on my dryer and drain into 5gal sparkletts jugs to make my water portable.

I think my whole build for the tank was about $60

But I like your over-engineered approach! That's what us homebrewers are great at ;)

It did not come with a pressure tank, I make 15 to 20 gallon batches and use about 25-30 gallons of water moving around. It was easier to get a storage tank and pump for this application. I wanted the trash can, but I couldnt pass up 20' of 1 1/2 steel for $28 and a smelly 55 gallon barrel for $29.lol

Im also having second thoughts about the barrel I purchased and whether I can get the smell out of it.

Try soaking with water and lots of bleach. I used that for the ones I have that held syrup. Worked like a charm

Im also having second thoughts about the barrel I purchased and whether I can get the smell out of it.

Mine is also an olive barrel... only red instead of blue. The smell went away after awhile, and it never affected the beer.

Did your ro system come with a pressure tank? If yes you will have an idea what I am talking about. You can purchase larger pressure tanks like the ones that normally come with an ro system. Look in your local home improvement store. Thanks advantage of using a pressure tank instead of basically a bucket is that it will store the clean water with little chance of failure (float) and you can plumb the water to areas you need it and it will still be under pressure. Since you will not be able to seal the lid on your setup you also risk contamination. Just my 2 cents.

The pressure vessels are great for drinking water at the sink, but totally worthless for large volumes. Having 50 gallons of RO water on hand is so nice. This is the way to go in my opinion.

I set mine up originally for my pure water needs for metal plating (aluminum anodizing specifically). The loose fitting lid is perfectly shaped. There is no chance of contamination unless you keep it in a contaminated environment. Believe me, the plating requirements are much more stringent than brewing requirements.

Sorry for some delay on this build, Im waiting to see if I can get this smell out of the barrel. I dont want to start and build a frame that doesnt work

If you are up for a little experiment, put some coffee grounds in it. Since it is 55g, I'd say half a 1 lb. can, 4 gallons of hot water, and invite the neighbor kids over to play kick the barrel.

A strong solution of borax or baking soda (or both) should knock down the odor considerably. Maybe try one then the other. I'm talkin a whole box of baking soda.

I am soaking it in water and a crap ton of baking soda at the moment, I'll let that bake in the sun for a few days, then if that doesn't work it bleach next

A strong solution of borax or baking soda (or both) should knock down the odor considerably. Maybe try one then the other. I'm talkin a whole box of baking soda.

Baking soda was on sale... I put in 3 boxes. Lol

The baking soda worked a bunch, but there is still a slight smell. I'm going to add a gallon of bleach and let that sit for a week. Hopefully that should work. After that if it still doesn't I am going to try oxyclean. Wish me luck.

I hate hdpe. My Speidel fermenter held hops smell for like 5 successive brews. It will come out eventually. You could drain it a few times and wash it between brews. Start out with some really strong beers to cover up the flavor. I would suggest making a keg washer and letting it run under it a couple times.

Try some charcoal, ( the non-match light kind), and a small muffin fan inside with the lid on.

Salvaged a few stinkin' a$$ refrigerators this way.

Works the same way as the expensive "activated" charcoal.

Im hoping the smell will go away, for the price I got it for, it was a deal. I couldn't find any open top drums that were under 100. Yesterday I added 2qts of concentrated bleach to 55 gallons of water. hopefully that will work after it soaks in the sun for a week. I really want to get back to brewing because this is killing me. I had to skip oktoberfest beer for the 3 year in a row. But Im going to oktoberfest again this year.. so im not complaining to much.

I dumped the barrel yesterday and though the smell dissipated some, but it's still there. I may just have to buy a new one

keep an eye on craigslist. In my area there is a small (i'm sure personal) company selling brand new open top barrels like that for cheap, that are new.

keep an eye on craigslist. In my area there is a small (i'm sure personal) company selling brand new open top barrels like that for cheap, that are new.[/QUOTE

I may just stop buy this tank store about 20 from my house.. I haven't stopped because its in one of the worst areas in Stockton CA. I dont feel like getting shot buying a water tank. lol

Found a large tank distributor in chico CA, I go up weekly and plan on getting a 65 gallon tank. I can't decide if I should get a cone bottom or regular?

By cone bottom, I mean the same tanks as the plastic fermenters everyone uses

I use a 300g IBC tank, doing something similar to you. The city reservoir that is 2 miles away is different water than my tap water. And it tested out very good. So i built an independent water supply for the brewhaus, with its own well pump, and I have a second IBC tank I throw in the truck and go fill up. Cost is about $3.50 for a tank full

Back