50# of crushed grain

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

DNKDUKE

Supporting Member
HBT Supporter
Reaction score
So I ordered 50# of 2 row and when I ordered it - even though I checked the order carefully :eek:.......well lets just say that I did not want it crushed and it came crushed. :drunk:
It currently resides in (3) homer buckets with Gamma lids.

This is my first large purchase of grain so please remind me how long this should keep.

Man, that stinks. Sorry to hear that and when ordering a 50# sack of crushed grain, I guess I would hope someone may ask me if I meant to do that.

Crushed grain, sealed in an airtight container is likely going to be good for 2-3 months. If you freeze them, then longer. It's cold enough in my garage now that I suspect I could get away with the longer end of 3 months. Any longer and I'd be concerned.

I suspect crushed grain is exposing those starches so the longer exposed, the less likely they'll stay fresh. Use it as quickly as possible. Perhaps plan some SMaSH brews to blow through it in about 4 brew sessions. If you plan darker beers, brew them later because I think the darker grains will cover up any potential "oldness" of the grain, if it is even noticeable.

Man, that stinks. Sorry to hear that and when ordering a 50# sack of crushed grain, I guess I would hope someone may ask me if I meant to do that.

CRAP!!!

Thanks. My basement is like 45-55 but I will pull them to the garage.

Thanks

Orangehero, I see your from the northeast.
Wanna buy some grain?:D

Thanks, but I buy mine uncrushed.

I don't know exactly how long crushed malt stays fresh, but whole malt if stored properly can be fine for many years. I wouldn't be surprised if crushed malt is still acceptable 6 months or longer in the sealed buckets. Taste it for any major stale flavors before you use it.

Do you (or a buddy) have a food vacuum (e.g. Foodsaver)? Might help to prolong the life of some of the grain. You could make up some recipe kits in advance to make later brewing even easier. Turn a negative into a positive.

Nah, stored cool (fridge is overkill) and dry it will be good for at least a year, likely longer. It may lose some DP over time, but nothing to get freaked out about. You may want to crush it again before use, LHBS/vendor crush is usually too coarse for us.

Just fill the containers (buckets) to the brim, so less air can get to it.

GW sells sacks of pre-crushed grain. I think they spec it with a 6-month shelf life in the sack. They sacks are not very airtight. Extrapolating, if you keep it air tight you should be good for 3-6 months. I would highly recommend using it quickly.

For uncrushed grain Breiss specs most of their varieties for a shelf life of 12-18 months. That is something to consider. I've used about 350# in the last 6-months so I buy in bigger quantities. I don't have any qualms about the bags sitting there for a few months.

Well, now you have an excuse to brew a metric $hit ton of beer over the next few weeks. What's your max batch size?

Sorry but it was too easy.

I, personally, would make a short list of beers or styles you have wanted to try but haven't and give them a shot.

58276141.jpg

Sorry but it was too easy.

I, personally, would make a short list of beers or styles you have wanted to try but haven't and give them a shot.

A Belgian is on the short list but I don't know that I can brew a Belgian with standard 2 row, can I?
A couple of straight ales
A barley wine
Base malt is easy. All I really need to do decide what kind of gravity to shoot for and decide on hops and yeast.
I have (4) pints of washed US-05in the fridge and about 3# of a variety of freshly grown cascade, magnum, and santium hops in the freezer.
All I gotta do is figure out the "how manys" and the "how longs" :rockin:

Allegedly I found about 9 #'s of various specialty grains (Biscuit, Meloadin, Carapils, light crystal, etc) in my basement in sealed bags that were pre-crushed and at least 4 years old. Someone may have added an equal portion of freshly crushed 6-row and made a darned tasty beer out of it (about 9 gal potentially). Head retention was epic so it had to be carbonated to a very low pressure and served carefully due to the large amount of grain that enhances body and head.

A Belgian is on the short list but I don't know that I can brew a Belgian with standard 2 row, can I?
A couple of straight ales
A barley wine
Base malt is easy. All I really need to do decide what kind of gravity to shoot for and decide on hops and yeast.
I have (4) pints of washed US-05in the fridge and about 3# of a variety of freshly grown cascade, magnum, and santium hops in the freezer.
All I gotta do is figure out the "how manys" and the "how longs" :rockin:

Time for some comparison batches of single hop IIPAs? Depends how fast you can get through them I guess, since you'd want to drink them fresh. Might be best to plan a couple of long aging beers so that you don't end up with too much beer that needs to be drunk fresh. Barleywine or an old ale should work well enough with 2-row.

You can brew something Belgianish with 2-row. It won't a be perfect clone of a particular beer, but as long as you mash low to get it dry and use a decent amount of sugar, it should be interesting/good. A dark strong/dubbel would obviously cover up the change in base malt a bit better. But just call it "Belgian inspired" ;)

Brew Kate the Great! I used 22 lbs plus specialty grain in a 5 gallon batch I just brewed.

Brew Kate the Great! I used 22 lbs plus specialty grain in a 5 gallon batch I just brewed.

Man, how big your MLT?

I say a couple of SMaSH recipes for sure. It really bangs out a good amount of base grain. I've done two with 14 lbs of MO as my base. It really blows through base grain when doing a SMaSH.

Man, how big your MLT?

I say a couple of SMaSH recipes for sure. It really bangs out a good amount of base grain. I've done two with 14 lbs of MO as my base. It really blows through base grain when doing a SMaSH.

A link to our setup is in my signature but we are a bit spoiled with 20 gallon tanks.

If you seal it up (vacuum bagged would be best and keep it cool and dry you should easily be able to use it up before it goes bad. My average sack lasts over 6 months but that is because I usually brew with different base grains in succession. I will also brew twice in a week and maybe not again for a month or more.

My average sack will make 5 to 8 beers depending on the recipes. My average recipe uses about 8 pounds of base grain though I often use a mix of a couple different types.
Maybe some IPA's with about 10 pounds each.

2 a month and you will go 3 months.

Seems to me 50 lbs isn't that much. I brew 6 gallon batches and typically use 15-18 lbs of base malt in most batches. I target 7-9% beers and have pretty low (65-70%) efficiency. So, for me, that would be enough for 3 batches.

Latest posts

Back