50 foot 1/2 inch SS coil

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
The coil looks nice and uniform even when compressed down to 11". Looks like I purchased it that way. It took a bit of wrestling to push it through the device, however, I probably wouldn't motorize it unless you plan on doing a lot of coiling work. Thanks for pointing out the missing label on the flat steel. I'll edit and update my PDF.
Too bad you didn't see this post while you were in my area. I would have let ya borrow it. :)
Happy Brewing!

Just curious if you could comment. My pots diameter is about 20'' and I was thinking I would make my could a bit bigger. Any idea if your rig would allow for a larger coil say 18 inches or so wide? I assume yes but wasn't sure how large the coil was when you started.

I haven't picked how large yet, but I want to allow for a stir paddle as well.

Grrrrr the fittings I tried to use did not work when I tried to install my coil, I gotta get some 90 degree compression fittings.

If its the 90 part you can probably get away with a street elbow to your compression fitting and save yourself a few bucks

Having just kinked my recently purchased 50ft roll of SS, I am interested in redoing my efforts with the correct tooling this time.

Has anyone in the greater Pittsburgh area put together one of these V-twin rollers? I could help alleviate the build cost in exchange for turning my (new) coil down to 14".

I went the harbor freight route. As you can see in the pics..this bender is overkill, but with the correct dies makes it a breeze to bend. I got my coil down to 10" in two passes...a total of 10 minutes. The new dies were from SWAG off road and made specially for this bender.

image-1090326045.jpg

image-1174632887.jpg

image-2686122059.jpg

Looks good besides the first coil at the bottom. That's about a $315 setup you got there. I bet you could make some pretty neat things with that. I got lucky and found an 8" concrete pillar sticking out of the ground and just wrapped it around it. No kinks but definately eat your wheaties. These tools look effortless.
picture025pn.jpg

By zjosey at 2012-03-30

GEEEZ.. $165 in just the dies? I hope you can sell a hundred coils to pay it back.

That was my thought. + 169 for the bending rig. Ouch!

I am sure it kicked arse, but I would be craigslisting that thing or getting everyone within kicking distance to let me bend their chillers and herms coils to spec to offset the cost. Maybe buy a spool of 304 SS :D

I know! It was like an addiction. But since I could find no one to bend it...no time spend a day building one, and wanting a nice looking coil, this was one of my last choices.
The .020 wall SS tubing is hard to find...most places have a 10k foot min order:) don't think there is that much demand! I have already made two coils for people to spec, so o Eric the next 5 years I'm sure it will pay for itself;)
Just don't tell the SWMBO!

That is designed for a 20gal Blichman pot so very limited to who can buy it
To be more precise, the size is optimized for installation in a 20 gallon Blichmann Boilermaker kettle but the coil will fit in any kettle with an inner wall diameter of at least 15.5 inches.

That includes any Blichmann 15 gallons or larger, and most other kettles 15 gallons or larger. Keggles, while larger, are problematic since the opening at the top is usually not big enough. Keggles are indeed the main problem.

It's certainly not only meant only for use in 20 gallon Blichmanns. There are zero issues or problems or lack of performance if using it in any 15 gallon+ Blichmann kettle, MoreBeer kettle, Polarware kettle, etc.

Kal

Got my coil and pick up tubes today. Pretty good. It's in the keg but haven't hooked it up yet.

ForumRunner_20120403_173230.jpg

I finally got around to bending a 50' spool. 12" diameter/ 9" tall. I think I'll do a couple more and put them in the classifieds.
You got a good deal...and you must be better at finding the services. I had no luck!

S-

image-778577342.jpg

image-2166024624.jpg

Good grief, where were you when I bent mine by hand lol, Mine looks like I salvaged it from some NASCAR event. Its all good, even with the dings, she heats/chills like a dream and no noticeable restrictions.

53757d1332467727-pros-cons-mashout-fact-fiction-forumrunner_20120322_215539.jpg

I finally got around to bending a 50' spool. 12" diameter/ 9" tall. I think I'll do a couple more and put them in the classifieds.
You got a good deal...and you must be better at finding the services. I had no luck!

S-

You absolutely should. That looks stellar! Just curious if you would consider coiling to a rough diameter size and shipping?

I am going to try the jig I built as per vtwin, but you should make some $$ off that rig you bought for sure.

Even .028 is hard to come by at .5" OD. The most common stock is .035. I guess the question is, with so much effort put into the gentle bending of .020, I wonder what the actual real world heat exchange difference is between the two wall thickness. .035 is just over a 32nd of an inch. Seems thin enough to me.

Quick question for you all.

How do you get the coil to stay compressed. Mine keeps expanding on the end that is not connected. My diameter is about 16 inches, so it is not that small.

Thoughts.. Advice

Thanks in Advance.

Is it expanding vertically or horizontally? Are you connecting with straight or 90 degree compression fittings?

Thats how I tried to do it since I bought straight compression fittings before realizing I needed 90's.

There is a Swagelock dealer in town they are $30 a piece but that only about $8 more than buying them online without having to wait for them. I did go to home depot and get some brass 90 degree compression fittings for $5 a piece to mock up the install and make sure they work before I drop the serious coin on the Swagelocks.

would
If its the 90 part you can probably get away with a street elbow to your compression fitting and save yourself a few bucks

Quick question for you all.

How do you get the coil to stay compressed. Mine keeps expanding on the end that is not connected. My diameter is about 16 inches, so it is not that small.

Thoughts.. Advice

Thanks in Advance.

How about using stainless steel wire? I was thinking about picking some up for when I make my hop stopper and thought about using it for this as well.

I plan on using bargain fittings straight compression fittings with a 90 elbow through one of the soldered bulkhead weldless kits.

I was having the same issues. You have to ensure the tubing leading into the fitting is completely square. I achieved this by actually bending the tubing a bit more.

I was having the same issues. You have to ensure the tubing leading into the fitting is completely square. I achieved this by actually bending the tubing a bit more.

Same with mine, that's why the top connection has that little dog leg bend on it to "square" it up. You also may need to "re-round" the tubing. I had this problem after using the tubing cutter. It made the round tube oval as Bobby mentioned earlier. Just use an adjustable wrench and keep spinning that around the tube while slightly tightening the wrench. It will make it round again.

Just finished coiling down 50 ft to fit in my keggle. wanted to thank V-Twin for the tool write up, and ask why didn't anyone tell me be ready for a serious forearm and wrist workout. If anyone in the chicagoland area wants to borrow my tool to coil just contact me, but Im not sure how many I want to do by myself after that one.

I have one that I've used on copper plenty of times with success. Never tried it on stainless yet though.

Back