50' .5" IC - Adequate for 20 gallon batches?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Apoxbrew

Reaction score
I built a 50' IC out of 1/2" copper tubing using Bobby_M's design/instructions and have been quite happy with it for my 10 gallon batches.

I'm stepping up though to (as much as) 20 gallons a batch and am wondering now if I need to upgrade my chiller.

While a PC or CFC would be nice, I'm trying to remain completely unplugged so I'd prefer to stick with the IC concept.

That said, should I make any modifications to what I have? Like maybe adding length or switching to larger diameter tubing or switching to a ribcage design.

Or maybe I don't need to do anything and will be fine with what I have?

Would love your feedback/suggestions. Thanks!

:mug:

Are you moving the wort at all? I'd imagine it would be fine as long as the wort is moving via a pump (recirculation) or some sort of stiring aparatus.

If not I'd imagine the heat stratification (is that the correct word?) issue that are faced with most batches would be increased.

I won't claim to really know what I'm talking about, but I wouldn't think adding length to your existing would really help that much. Even with a 50' 1/2" in a 10 gal batch I assume that the temperature differential between the cooling liquid and the wort diminishes quickly. I mean, by the time the liquid is 35' into the 50' chiller, it's not doing much cooling anymore. (I could totally be wrong though).

Instead of adding any length I would think you would get more bang for the buck by adding a second chiller with a slightly smaller (or larger if the pot has room) diameter and hooking to two hoses.

:off: I know you're half the state away, but since it's that time of year: Go Ducks!

I would think you would get more bang for the buck by adding a second chiller with a slightly smaller (or larger if the pot has room) diameter and hooking to two hoses.

very interesting idea... i like it!!

That said, should I make any modifications to what I have? Like maybe adding length or switching to larger diameter tubing or switching to a ribcage design.

Or maybe I don't need to do anything and will be fine with what I have?

Would love your feedback/suggestions. Thanks!

:mug:

No need to make any modifications. You will be fine with what you have. That's the advantage of doing it right the first time through. :)

Do you whirlpool?

i do... not with a pump. i either stir with the spoon, or because of the bobby_m design, i can actually just pick up the IC itself off the floor of the kettle and use it as a giant spoon to whirpool the wort around.

i pretty much have constant movement of the wort around the chiller during cooling.

what about spreading the coils apart a bit. i don't have them fastened together in any way right now, but they're a very neat coil, each resting on the one below it so while wort can move in between them, there's no actual gap between each coil. might that help at all?

Yes, it will help because you'll increase the surface area of the heat exchanger. This will significantly increase its heat exchanging efficiency.

I recommend getting a SS mixing wand that you can attach to a power drill. It will dramatically reduce the time required to chill, and it will aid in whirlpooling.

Cool brewery name, BTW.

Back