5 gallons?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

JackApples

Reaction score
I've been brewing for about a year now, 6 batches in total, using kits. My brewing buddy and I have an ongoing argument that we need resolved. After cooling his wort, he adds enough water to take his batch to exactly 5 gallons. I, on the other hand, only add enough water to match the SG that the recipe specifies, which almost always is less than 5 gallons. Which method is correct? Thanks!

neither is incorrect. both will make beer, just slightly different beer

his might be off on ABV, but he'll always have the amount the recipe calls for

yours will always be the ABV that the recipe states, but you will not have the amount

Yep, in the end the brew would have the same efficiency- either more weak beer or less stronger beer. I, personally, prefer proper OG, but don't think poorly of anyone who would sacrifice a few points to get proper volume.

But really, OG is part of the recipe. Volume is just a part of the procedure/method. Right? :)

Never assume you're going to get five gallons of wort. I always just shoot to hit my target gravity. That being said, before I knew the equation in the link existed I simply topped off to five gallons and made one of my best beers. A pale ale that was supposed to be a clone of Great Lakes Burning River.

http://brewbaron.wordpress.com/brewing-faq/

With a steeping grain/extract 5 gallon batch, you ought to always be pretty close to your OG if you added all of the extract.

When you top of with (hopefully chilled) water, blend it and the kettle wort together and then take a gravity reading it's not at all unusual for it to be a bit off (one way or the other) because it's difficult to get it stirred enough to make that mixture 100% homogeneous.

For that reason alone, I'd go ahead and top off such a batch to the full 5 gallons rather than try to short the volume based upon what can often be a less-than-accurate gravity sample.

I'm with Jack. I shoot for gravity over volume. I'm making a specific recipe, not a specific amount of beer.
To each his own though.

I agree. I would rather have my beer taste like what I want it to rather than to water it down just to equal 5 gallons. There isn't a right or wrong method but I would rather have a little less than 5 gallons but have the flavor / abv

Back