5 gallon Pyrex fermenter

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

scottchandler

Reaction score
Hey all,

I'm looking to use the pictured carboy as a fermenter and was looking for ideas on how to attach a spigot (possibly with an adjustable racking arm) to the outlet at the bottom. Any help would be much appreciated!

IMG_3721.jpg

I would probably use a silicone hose to wrap around it and attach a spigot to that. I would be very careful to not try anything that might break that tube sticking out. It looks fragile.

Another option is to go inside. Bung it up with a holed stopper, and fit a valve (or racking cane) thru the stopper hole.

That seems like an interesting engineering challenge. You'd have to have a bung that could fit through the upper hole but plug up the lower hole, but since you can't exactly stick your hand through the upper hole, you'd have to rig some kind of removable rig to pull/push it tight from the outside.

I imagine a lot of unsavory language would ensue. DO IT.

$10 SS spigot off Amazon or eBay...something like this:

s-l500.jpg

Drill out appropriately sizeed stopper so spigot can fit through center hole.

Hold spigot/stopper in hole by any number of methods... wire with come-a-long wrapped around carboy; diy flange between spigot and top of stopper taped back with duct tape, etc.

Pyrex is pretty tough stuff. This ain't no Italian demijon.

That seems like an interesting engineering challenge. You'd have to have a bung that could fit through the upper hole but plug up the lower hole, but since you can't exactly stick your hand through the upper hole, you'd have to rig some kind of removable rig to pull/push it tight from the outside.

I imagine a lot of unsavory language would ensue. DO IT.

Oops, i meant instead of using tubing on the outside of the outlet, bung it up. Not from the inside of the container, but the internal diameter of the outlet. Just plug it up with a holed stopper. Obviously it'd have to be pretty tight.

Thanks for the ideas. So far I have a drilled stopper with a plastic valve that has barbs in either end in the stopper. I pushed the stopper in as hard as I can and then bridged the gap between the rubber and glass with tape as an extra precaution. I filled the carboy with 5 gallons of water and no leaks! It's a little janky but will work just fine.

Good idea wrt tape (assuming it holds).
I had visions of 5 gallons of "floor beer" if just using a drilled stopped alone ;)

Cheers!

Your setup is bound to fail, the stopper will slip out. Just slip a short length of silicone hose over the outlet, fold over the other end and use a binder clamp to secure it. Fewer parts, easier to sanitize, and absolutely won't slip off or leak. That's how it's intended to function, that outlet wasn't designed to resist the pressure of a stopper, you will end up cracking it. If it were intended for a stopper, it would have a thick rolled rim to add strength. Don't waste beer, and don't wreck that beautiful piece of glassware.

Hey all,

I'm looking to use the pictured carboy as a fermenter and was looking for ideas on how to attach a spigot (possibly with an adjustable racking arm) to the outlet at the bottom. Any help would be much appreciated!

What is something like that normally used for and do you know what is supposed to go in the bottom opening?

Considering its Pyrex, it's gotta be lab equipment. I'd hast2e to see what that costs.

they go for ~$200 on ebay. Maybe the best way to use it is to sell it on ebay and use the money to buy multiple, ported glass fermenters with spigots all ready-to-go. BTW, you really don't know what that was used for. Could have been an experiment in distilling urine or something even more gross :p

The idea with the external hose, and the valve added to that, is your best bet.

If you wanted to use a "stopper", it could be pulled in from inside the vessel, with some keg lube, and a strong piece of string.

Edit: Then, it's doubtful you'd find a valve with a stem to reach the stopper, and then there's attaching the nut, to secure the valve to the stopper......

Never would I trust a stopper wedged from the outside, unless you're shootin' for a sticky floor......:D

Considering its Pyrex, it's gotta be lab equipment. I'd hast2e to see what that costs.

Correct, and yeah Im looking at my sigma aldrich catalog a 19L corning aspirator bottle is $687.

What is something like that normally used for and do you know what is supposed to go in the bottom opening?

Its an aspirator bottle, you put flex tubing on the outlet, most are barbed btw, and it dispenses reagent or media by gravity feed. Ive never used one but recall seeing it in a microbiology lab.

I like the idea of getting some silicone tubing to put around the outside of the outlet. I think 1" ID silicone tubing would probably stretch around it but dont have any that size so haven't tried it yet.

I agree with the commenters who say the the stopper solution will eventually fail and have relegated this idea to trash bin.

I may end up just selling this thing if I can get a decent amount for it. I think it could be really cool but not sure if it would be any better than my speidel.

Thanks again... really appreciate the help!

I like the idea of getting some silicone tubing to put around the outside of the outlet. I think 1" ID silicone tubing would probably stretch around it but dont have any that size so haven't tried it yet.

You could also use surgical latex tubing, its more stretchy and probably less expensive than silicone.

SS Brewtech, one of the forum sponsors has 1" ID silicone tubing for $6.75 ft. It's thick wall too, tough stuff. I stretched it over a 1-11/16" opening just to see if it would. It does but didn't leave it there for long.

SiLeeSock_61.png

SS Brewtech, one of the forum sponsors has 1" ID silicone tubing for $6.75 ft. It's thick wall too, tough stuff. I stretched it over a 1-11/16" opening just to see if it would. It does but didn't leave it there for long.

View attachment 549343
Funny you mentioned the silicone tubing from SS Brewtech because thats what I ended up buying a couple of weeks ago. Fits over the opening perfectly. I haven't used it yet since I also have a speidel and a brew bucket but I may end up using it soon. If and when I use it, i'll post a few photos. Just out of curiosity, what are you using the tubing for?

Thanks!

-Scott

Funny you mentioned the silicone tubing from SS Brewtech because thats what I ended up buying a couple of weeks ago. Fits over the opening perfectly. I haven't used it yet since I also have a speidel and a brew bucket but I may end up using it soon. If and when I use it, i'll post a few photos. Just out of curiosity, what are you using the tubing for?

Thanks!

-Scott
It was used in a prototype of an invention I'm working on.

Latest posts

Back