5 gallon pot on gas stove boil??

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

whitesheperd

Reaction score
It's been going for about 10 minutes on high, is it going to get to a boil? 5 gallon granite pot. It is steaming pretty nice right now, I don't a have boiling thermometer yet but I will Friday when I buy the rest of my equipment ImageUploadedByHome Brew1400721348.894600.jpg
ImageUploadedByHome Brew1400721316.926360.jpgImageUploadedByHome Brew1400721331.677575.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Home Brew

Put the lid on it until it boils.

You may find in the end your stove just won't heat up a full boil, you'll need a turkey fryer burner or an electric heating element to add to the pot

Sent from the Commune

Lid will help. I have boiled five gallons on both electric and gas stove. It will take a little longer. For those with electric stoves realize that some run at different amps. The lower amped burners may never get 5 gals to a boil.

How long should I wait for It to boil before giving up on it? If it just doesn't boil the 2.5 gallons of water (which the extract kits call for to boil) then could I do half and half? Like boil 1.75 gallons then after that boil the other half 1.75 gallons of wort? I've heard of people doing half boil then the other half..

Make sure you remove the lid once your boil starts & keep it off for the duration of the boil!

How long should I wait for It to boil before giving up on it? If it just doesn't boil the 2.5 gallons of water (which the extract kits call for to boil) then could I do half and half? Like boil 1.75 gallons then after that boil the other half 1.75 gallons of wort? I've heard of people doing half boil then the other half..

Yes, just split between 2 pots to speed it up.

Finally it's starting to boil, I was basically just testing it out for Friday when I get my kit :) thanks guys! Oh one more thing do extract kits usually boil first? Then drop temp? Or could some one give me a link to what the exact paper shows on when I get my kit:S

ImageUploadedByHome Brew1400722536.447673.jpg 20 minutes of waiting got me a good rolling boil:)

Never mind I found a recipe, now when it says steep grams in mesh bag for 20 minutes or until temp reaches 170 degrees.. So that means go from 0 degrees to 170 degrees slowly? Once it reaches 170 degrees I will need to remove bag and bring to a boil then add my malt and remove from the stove until dissolved good, then return to stove and boil again then pour the cluster hops in and boil for 60 minutes, then chill and pour in fermenting bucket, do I also pour the hops in the bucket also? If so do I take them out after primary is complete and pour into my Carboy? Or leave in the whole time? Does this all sound correct?

Never mind I found a recipe, now when it says steep grams in mesh bag for 20 minutes or until temp reaches 170 degrees.. So that means go from 0 degrees to 170 degrees slowly? Once it reaches 170 degrees I will need to remove bag and bring to a boil then add my malt and remove from the stove until dissolved good, then return to stove and boil again then pour the cluster hops in and boil for 60 minutes, then chill and pour in fermenting bucket, do I also pour the hops in the bucket also? If so do I take them out after primary is complete and pour into my Carboy? Or leave in the whole time? Does this all sound correct?

I usually steeped my grains at 155 or so for 20 minutes. Then bring to a boil. Once at a boil add about 1/3 of your extract and start your 60 minutes and add whatever hops you're going to add throughout the 60 minutes. During the last 10 or 15 minutes add the rest of your extract and mix in well. Then boil it out for the remainder of the 60 minutes, chill, and add your yeast.

You can strain out your hops if you want to when you're pouring the wort into your fermentor. It will give you more beer because you'll lose less to trub but you don't have to strain out anything if you don't want to or can't. If it calls for dry hopping then you'll add those directly to the fermentor after fermentation is complete. Leave the dry hops in there for 7-10 days. They should mostly fall out by the time you have bottle but you can cold crash for a couple days if you have the room in your fridge to drop out everything.

Look up late extract additions, hop utilization and full boil brewing. You'll learn that pouring in all of your extract at the beginning will crystallize the extract and cause cloudy beer. Full boil brewing helps with hop utilization among other things. It's been a while since I've brewed an extract beer but that's how I remember doing it. There's tons of videos on youtube on how to brew with extract. Either way you do it you'll make beer and it will be good as long as you follow proper sanitizing practices. Good luck! :mug:

20 minutes? 2 gallons took me 55 minutes to get to 200F on an electric stove. You have it good man.

Yeah 2.5 gallons took me 20 minutes on my gas stove, I like gas better..

Depends on the stove. Mine has a serious powerburner and have in the past gotten my 60 quart Boil kettle to boil. From mash temp to boil in 30 minutes. Does however take up 3/4's of the surface area of the stove so multiple burners are under it, even though I only use the power burner.:)

Back