5 gallon poland spring bottles?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Andyoesq

Reaction score
Any reason you couldn't use the 5 gallon water bottles we get at the office for fermentation (secondary?). they are good quality plastic, and a lot lighter and easier to carry than a glass carboy, have a handle built in, won't kill you if it breaks, and readily obtainable?

Any reason you couldn't use the 5 gallon water bottles we get at the office for fermentation (secondary?). they are good quality plastic, and a lot lighter and easier to carry than a glass carboy, have a handle built in, won't kill you if it breaks, and readily obtainable?

I wouldn't use them as they aren't designed for fermentation. The alcohol in the beer might cause leeching of plastic and chemicals that I personally wouldn't want in my brew. The other negative aspect is that unlike glass, plastic containers are somewhat permeable to oxygen and as such a small amount of oxidation will occur during fermentation which might impart off flavors in your beer.

I just personally would like using a container that isn't designed/manufactured with fermentation in mind for my brews. You're better off investing in a Better Bottle carboy which is a lot lighter than glass and designed for homebrewing.

I prefer my Better Bottles, but I do have two 3 gallon water bottles that I use for smaller batches. I am not one who worries too much about anything leaching out of the plastic. I feel you are getting far worse in the food you are eating every day. (unless you eat only food from organic farms that you have personally inspected!)

All types of food are packaged in the same type of plastic.

Unless you are doing long term bulk aging in the bottle, I don't think the permeability of the plastic is of much, if any, concern.
Better Bottles are less permeable though.

Go for it. If it wasn't food-grade plastic it would have potable water stored in it. It's not like you're storing boiling wort in the thing.

Directly from Poland Spring website: "All our Poland Spring 5G bottles are now made from PET #1 plastic which is always BPA-free."

Go for it. The 5 gallon Poland Spring bottles are made of PET. The plastic Big Mouth Bubblers for fermentation are also made of PET. PET should not leach any BPA or anything else. Enjoy!

Back