5 gallon carboys.... my hatred.

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

djinn88

Reaction score
So my 3rd batch is under way now, some probably lovely (never tried it) EdWort's Haus Pale Ale. My 5 gallon carboy is betraying me once again. My krausen is blowing off so hardcore that I am already down to 4.2ish gallons. This is my 2nd batch this has happened to.

My question is, what should I do with this problem? I know I can get some 6 gallon carboys and likely avoid losing so much to krausen, but then I would have 2 5's with nothing to do in them. I don't plan on doing any secondary/brightening, except maybe for an occasional dry hop sometime in the future. Is there any way to knock this krausen down a little to avoid losing so much final product?

6.5's for primary. 5's for secondary. You might try using some fermcap in the fermentation which will help control some of the foam.

If I did 4gal batches I would have to change all of the standard recipes though. If I just added less top-off water I would end up with a beer concentrate. I guess I've answered my own question... get some bigger carboys.

If I did 4gal batches I would have to change all of the standard recipes though. If I just added less top-off water I would end up with a beer concentrate. I guess I've answered my own question... get some bigger carboys.

Just use the 5's for recipes that need some aging.

You do realize that 5 gallon carboys were NEVER meant to be used a fermenters, but as secondaries where there is no fermentation happening, don't you? They are meant to age beer with the least amount of headspace (the amount of space in the neck after the beer is in it) but are never meant to attempt to contain beer and krausen and active fermentation.

There's a reason we ferment in 6-7 gallon ales pales or 6-6.5 gallon carboys.

FermcapS or another anti-foam drop could help quite a bit. Also, using a Burton Union would run the blowoff back to the carboy.

FWIW, none of the above is a replacement for a larger primary fermenter.

Looks like you are leaving yourself no real choice but to go larger. If money is the issue, consider just using a cheaper ale pail as a primary. If you are already using a bottling bucket that is large enough, consider using that as a primary and change your ferm methods to use the 5 gal carboy as a secondary. Many will disagree with the secondary but if you gotta use what you got, who can argue?

I knew it was cold out for a reason, first the Brown's win then I show Revvy what a Burton Union is! ;)

I've been thinking on using the system myself, some of my higher gravity beers blow off even with 2gals of headspace and FermcapS...

I like that Union! But I will move up to a 6gal carboy. When I went to my LHBS looking for another primary (specifically) they sold me another 5gal. Oh well, I guess I have two of these bad boys for some purpose that will eventually reveal itself to me. Thanks all for the responses!
:rockin:

I like that Union! But I will move up to a 6gal carboy. When I went to my LHBS looking for another primary (specifically) they sold me another 5gal. Oh well, I guess I have two of these bad boys for some purpose that will eventually reveal itself to me. Thanks all for the responses!
:rockin:

Apfelwein & bulk aging/oaking bigger beers is a good start to that revelation. And if you want to split a batch between 2 different yeast strains you could use them as primaries.

If I did 4gal batches I would have to change all of the standard recipes though . . .
Adjusting a recipe is pretty easy stuff. What I'll sometimes do is go in the opposite direction. Bump the recipe up to 6-7 gallon range and split it between two five gallon carboys. You can skip the secondary. Go right to bottle or keg after 3-4 weeks.

I own three 5 gallon carboys which were given to me so I wanted to find a way to use them. I just split my 5.25 gallon batches between two of them. This way I never have a need for a blow off tube. Just dump it in, stick an airlock on each and I'm set. :mug: Right now I've got Yuri's pumpkin ale bubbling away with plenty of head space. So far I haven't secondaried, but I likely will this time to clear all the pumpkin settling out. In that case I'll just combine them into my third 5 gallon.

Eventually I'll break down and pick up a 6.5 so I can have 2 batches going at a time. One in the 6.5 and one split between the two 5s. But I see no reason to replace my split-batch method as it's working quite well. ...and to think, the guy at one lhbs said it couldn't be done. Never tell me I can't do something! :)

Back