5 gallon all grain

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

bertoochy

Reaction score
What size brew kettle should I use to brew 5 gallons of beer?

This will be an all grain brew.

Thanks

You want the kettle to be big enough to prevent boilover. But also big enough so that your pre-boil volume will fit before accounting for evaporative loss.

8 gallons is the minimum I'd recommend for a 5 gallon batch size. But 10 probably would be better, especially for batches that require long boils (and hence more pre-boil volume).

Well not knowing much else about your set up and boil off rate, I would recommend at least an 8 gallon kettle. This will help with hot break and also it will be able to hold excess wort that will be boiled off by the time your done...

For an all grain brew, you cannot manage a good system without at least a 8gal kettle thats for sure

It CAN be done with a 30qt kettle (7.5gallons) but I don't recommend it.
That takes very careful regulation of heat and a lot of stirring as it comes up to avoid a boil-over.
8 gal is the minimum I would say to use.

jrgtr42 said:
It CAN be done with a 30qt kettle (7.5gallons) but I don't recommend it.
That takes very careful regulation of heat and a lot of stirring as it comes up to avoid a boil-over.
8 gal is the minimum I would say to use.

I use a 30 qt pot and agree with this post. I should have gone with 10 gal and will in the future. The smaller pot makes it hard to do beer over 5% abv and requires more attention during the boil.

I use an 8 gallon pot and my boil starts with 6.5 gallons. Needless to say it can get a little close to boilover. Over the last 3 years, I've pretty much mastered the art of heat/flame control to keep it from a boilover. I'm going to switch to a 10 gallon pot soon...

Gary

I use a 5 gallon pot, 4 gallon boil. top off in the fermenter to 5.25 gallon. you need to adjust the hop schedule accordingly.

+1 to the 10 gallon. You an squeak by with 8 gallons, but it doesn't leave much/any room for error. It's well worth the extra couple bucks up front to make your brew day a little easier for years to come.

dmashl said:
I use a 5 gallon pot, 4 gallon boil. top off in the fermenter to 5.25 gallon. you need to adjust the hop schedule accordingly.

All grain? If so, what gravity?

Are you doing the BIAB process? I BIAB and started with a 10 gallon. It was too small since I mashed in full water volume with no sparge. I sold it and went with a 15 gallon and have never looked back. Plenty of room and never close to a boil over.

dmashl said:
Yes, all grain. Use a 5 gallon mash tun. no more than 12 lbs grain(usually 10-11 lbs). usually 1.050 or so on my gravity readings. Makes some damn fine beer.

Ok. I was just curious. I do AG BIAB and when I use my small pot (5 gal) I can do about the same and get to about 1.060-1.070 at max. I'd never recommend it because it is borderline overflowing and a huge PITA, but like you said - damn fine beer.

Usually just use the larger pot for that exact reason. Way easier.

Back