5 gal water jugs

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jjw5015

jwbrews on IG
Reaction score
Just started getting RO water from the store and the empty jugs are all kinds of moldy smelling after using them. I made sure it dried out and got sun. It looks clean but im hesitant to refill it with water again and brew with it. How do you all keep these things sanitary?

Just started getting RO water from the store and the empty jugs are all kinds of moldy smelling after using them. I made sure it dried out and got sun. It looks clean but im hesitant to refill it with water again and brew with it. How do you all keep these things sanitary?

clean them, and that's about it. If you don't think it's clean enough, you could clean it again and use some sanitizer on it before refilling.

Since it's pre-boil, I'd not worry to much but still be as sanitary as possibly.

I agree pre boil not much of an issue but I am more curious how you got a water jug so nasty. Did you ever put anything else into it? I have water jugs just for brewing water and figured I would clean them periodically but there has never been even the slightest off scent and I am very very sensitive to mold/mildew smell.

You talking about the blue plastic ones? I've got 3 I bought at the ro dispenser at kroger that I've been using for a few years. I don't dry or rinse or clean, just fill them, use the water, sometimes leave a gallon or two or 3 until next brew day. Never noticed any issue at all. I'm interested if anything besides water went in them.

Ya the blue ones from walmart. I have 2, one of them is empty and the other half full. All I did was fill my kettle and let it dry out. Never had anything else in it. I've only had them maybe 6 weeks. Only used it one time, so it's not sitting around getting 'nasty'. After I emptied it I left the cap off so it could dry out. It's been in my garage ever since, sealed. I smelled it the other day and maybe it's just the plastic that I'm smelling because it's new, but something smelled off with it. Looks clean, no visible moisture or mold.

Put in 75ML of bleach and fill it to the brim with water and let it sit for a week. The smell will be gone. Rinse it out and you're ready to go.

Latest posts

Back