5 gal mash tun problem

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

NewkyBrown

Reaction score
I have just bought a 5 gallon rubbermaid cooler from Home Depot and all the brass fittings listed in the various instructions online. Am I missing something though? The 3/8 brass nipple which
goes through the drain hole is not a tight fit and therefore consistently leaks. I have tried an o-ring but still have issues. Can anyone who has built one of these please advise me if they had problems. The photos I have seen online seem to show a tighter fit between the nipple and cooler hole. Any thoughts?
Thanks.

You are gonna have to be more specific.....or post pics if possible. Are you saying the hole in the cooler is too big......or you cant tighten the fittings??

I did this with a 5 gal igloo cooler and now 10 gal igloo coolers as well and went with a smaller brass nipple the 3/8 nipple was too large

abarker8541 said:
You are gonna have to be more specific.....or post pics if possible. Are you saying the hole in the cooler is too big......or you cant tighten the fittings??

image-2237884607.jpg

Not a great pic. Just need to know if this normal or should the nipple fit tighter into the cooler seal? If this is correct them I guess I need a thicker o-ring.
Thanks.

Are you using the original white rubber washer/o ring that came with the cooler. That 3/8 nipple should be tight, almost hard to get through it. By the pics it looks like its turned around, but its kinda blurry. That is the inside of the cooler correct?

Are you using the original white rubber washer/o ring that came with the cooler. That 3/8 nipple should be tight, almost hard to get through it. By the pics it looks like its turned around, but its kinda blurry. That is the inside of the cooler correct?

That is the cooler seal in the pic (but not in the cooler). The brass nipple certainly isn't tight. I thought it was supposed to be tight when using 3/8" fittings but I might just try installing 1/2" instead. Maybe the cooler holes are now bigger?
Thanks for the replies.

Same boat here... didn't get it all tightend down because i was waiting on the SS washers but I started to put it all together and noticed the exact same thing.. either a thicker o-ring appears to be needed or I'm missing something... Rubbermaid 5-gallon ... thanks guys

horsepackage said:
Same boat here... didn't get it all tightend down because i was waiting on the SS washers but I started to put it all together and noticed the exact same thing.. either a thicker o-ring appears to be needed or I'm missing something... Rubbermaid 5-gallon ... thanks guys

I just purchased 1/2" valve and fittings and now water testing - so far good. I did have to bore out the washers slightly to fit over the nipple but no big deal.

Finally got it to work... bought a rubber gromet at homedepot that essentially shrinks the opening to fit very snug... adding the SS washers in and zinc fenders on the outside it fits real tight.. boiling water sat in for over an HR and not a drop.. I did also go crazy with the plumbers tape LOL... now what to AG brew first? ??

Latest posts

Back