5 gal cooler too big

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

gonpce

Reaction score
I,m going to start doing partial mash brews (5 gal batches) and read that your cooler could be too big. will a 5 gal round cooler be too large for partial mash batches. Should I get a 3 or 4 gal square cooler?

Do you intend to eventually move to all grain? If so, the five would be the better choice. It will work fine for pm's

Not familiar with the process of using a cooler for partial mash, but if getting up to or maintaining temp is a concern do to the size/mass, you could always preheat it with hot water.

5 gals is fine for PM batches, you can even do some AG batches with smaller grain bills with it. I used a 5 gal tun for quite awhile and was able to mash ~12 lbs of grain in there. I did plenty of ~5 gal batches, all grain, and if the grain bill was over ~11 lbs, I either scaled the batch down, supplemented with some DME (partial mash) and on a few occasions, split the mash into two vessels. Worked great. That said, in the future, you'll probably want a larger mash tun. I recently moved up to a ten gal cooler so I could handle most any grain bill for ~5 gal batches.

When I do partial mash, I also do partial boil in a 20qt pot on the stove. I heat my oven to mash temp then put the pot in there. It holds the temperature very well.

If you plan to go all grain the 5 gallon cooler will be a little limiting.

Back