5 Gal beer overcarbed from one cup of honey?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Brewmetheus

Reaction score
Hey guy's, I've bottled two ales with honey as the primer. The first batch I used too much honey, as I wasn't very precise with measuring, and made some bombs, although only two blew in the summer heat.

This time I was very careful and used one cup exactly for 5 gal, yet it carbed in one day, and seems to be getting overly carbed now a week and a half later. It's very warm in my condo as it's summer, around 24 C degrees or so.

These beers were a highly attenuated SMASH's that ended up crystal clear and tasted great until they were over carbed. These two batches were the first time I tried a protein rests at 43 C degrees to achieve this clarity and fermented with US-05. The yeast seemed to be doing odd things compared to my other simple mash schedules.

Less honey?

Last edited:
Yes less honey. From what I could find one cup of honey has almost 10 ounces of sugar.
Using Brewers Friends priming calculator, 5 gallons of beer at 2.4 carbonation requires 4.1 ounces of table sugar or 4.5 ounces of corn sugar.
So I would say you are adding more than double the amount of sugar needed!

Last edited:
Thanks. Put all of them in the fridge. Will be shmamered for the next little while to avoid further bombs

Everybody makes mistakes. I'm still new to this and make mistakes every batch. RDWHAHB... before it explodes :mug:

Yep, can't disagree with RDWHAHB, but midwest totally misled me. I am kinda pissed about this because I thought it was something else for two brews!

I haven't given priming sugar much thought before, being more preoccupied with mash schedules and hopping. I took the amount of sugar I was using before as a given, as I got the info there too. Thanks for the links and the info, I will try and learn more about this.

@gravity that link spawns popups to their main sales page. Do I have to make an account to use it?

Yep, can't disagree with RDWHAHB, but midwest totally misled me. I am kinda pissed about this because I thought it was something else for two brews!

I haven't given priming sugar much thought before, being more preoccupied with mash schedules and hopping. I took the amount of sugar I was using before as a given, as I got the info there too. Thanks for the links and the info, I will try and learn more about this.

@gravity that link spawns popups to their main sales page. Do I have to make an account to use it?

midwest did mislead you, I was actually thinking that while I was reading the link to the article you posted. I was like WTF, that a lot of honey..lol..you don't have to sign up, I'm not signed up and I use it all the time :

https://www.northernbrewer.com/priming-sugar-calculator/

works for me when I click on it, you can also try gooling it: Northern brewer + priming sugar+calculator

a cup of honey is 2X or more my high carb I think - I usually go with 150G (5.5oz) of sugar for a 23L (5 gallon)

Honey is an excellent priming ingredient, but ... it has to be diluted properly.
It's probably the most expensive priming sugar you can find. The glucose tablets in a bag are expensive, too.
I like cheap, but I also like efficient. The best, cheap efficient way I've found for those who bottle is use Domino's sugar cubes from the store put directly to the bottle, which eliminates adding to the bottling bucket. My stash of bottles (over 50-some) has both 11.2oz and 22oz glass. I use one cube per 11.2oz bottle and two per 22oz bottle as the baseline.

Domino's sugar is sucrose, not glucose, but the yeast doesn't care. It bottle carbs just the same but unless you daub it with flavor extract, it's flavor neutral. With honey in the bottle as a priming agent you'll get some leftover rendered flavors especially if it's a pungent honey style.

A little extra information for those who might want to use flavored extracts when bottle priming.
Is there an Asian market nearby? A lot of urban areas have substantial Asian populations so you can find some interesting things there - like flavoring tinctures and bottled extracts. They may be slightly expensive and they may be concentrated, but they can be alcohol-free. Spice essence, jasmine, you name it - even stinky waterbug essence, which I don't recommend. :)

Back