5/8" BSPP fittings, also John Guest questions

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

chocotaco

Reaction score
Does anybody know of a source for female 5/8" BSPP fittings? I want to start replacing all my hose barbs with quick disconnects. I was looking at Colder QD couplings, but they don't have any in 5/8" BSPP. John Guest has some fittings for 5/8" BSPP, but they don't take the hose ODs that I would need (7/16 for beer line and 9/16 for gas line).

Would 3/8" JG work for 7/16" OD and 1/2" JG for 9/16" OD? Any other way to adapt male 5/8" BSPP (apparently also known as 7/8-14) to something like 1/2" male NPT would help too, because I can easily get quick disconnects for most NPT sizes.

5/8" BSPP, by the way, is the thread standard for beer shanks. What I am after is to put quick disconnects directly on my shanks, as well as on my mini-keg taps which also have 5/8" BSPP on both the gas and beer side. Currently I have gasketed hex nuts and hose barb nozzles on each of these things.

I just used the JG fittings for the beer shank and 1/4" MFL varieties... I used the size needed to use the bevseal ultra and they seem to work great. Not sure that helps, but I found them at freshwatersystems.com

Ah, so you use a 5/8" gasketed hex nut with a 1/4" MFL tailpiece... and then thread a JG fitting onto those? I was hoping to eliminate the gasketed hex nut from the equation, but I guess it's not strictly a requirement.

Nah, I have 5/16 x 5/8 BSPP connectors going to the shanks and then 5/16 x 1/4 Flare connectors going to 1/4" MFL connectors that are on my ball lock adapters...
I don't see why you couldn't just use 2x of the 5/16" x 5/8 BSPP adapters and go from one to the other...

OK, BevSeal seems a bit too rigid for my tastes, but I could go with Tygon or something in the same OD.

Last question, about John Guest fittings - what's your experience with repeatedly connecting/disconnecting the hoses? It seems like the JG "teeth" would wear down the tubing pretty quickly. I like how easy it looks to connect and disconnect them, but I'm not sure if it's really that easy (and if the hose would hold up) because I have no experience with John Guest connectors.

I know I'm resurrecting an old post but I just wanted to say thanks for posting this. I've been searching for this explanation on this exact thing. Thanks! :rockin:

Last question, about John Guest fittings - what's your experience with repeatedly connecting/disconnecting the hoses? It seems like the JG "teeth" would wear down the tubing pretty quickly. I like how easy it looks to connect and disconnect them, but I'm not sure if it's really that easy (and if the hose would hold up) because I have no experience with John Guest connectors.

These fittings are not a good choice in situations where you want to repeatedly push them in and pull them out of the fitting - for the reason you mention.

Russ

Latest posts

Back