40qt Aluminum Pot

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

dgoldb1

Reaction score
Is a 40qt stock pot going to be overkill for extract brewing? I know that at some point I'll want to switch to all grain brewing. Would the 40qt be big enough for AG or would I need something even larger down the road?

Here is a good cheap stainless steel pot... Use coupon code: hbtwebsite to get 10% off. I'm not fond of aluminum, but that's a never ending debate. Plus, oxidation is ugly.

I bought a 10 gallon aluminum turkey fryer off a guy on craigslist for 30 bones. It isn't the best looking pot around, but then again I don't have it sitting out on the counter with flowers in it either.

I started out with extract and it worked plenty fine, and now that I do AG it works just the same. No issues with boil overs, even before I started adding Fermcap-s. I would suggest going ahead and getting a larger pot, rather than having to buy a larger one later and wasting money on a small one at first.

started with a really cheap 3 gallon enamel.

upgraded to an 8 gallon cheapo stainless.

found a good deal on a 60qt aluminum.

Now I have all three.

Go big.

+1 on going big. If you know you're going to make the jump to AG eventually, save yourself some money later to spend on your set up by getting a big expensive piece of equipment out of the way now.

+2, I have 3 different sized pots laying around i'll never use again. IMO, if your going the burner route and eventually all grain, id go with 60 quarts. Not to big for 5 gallon batches(mine are 8+ gallons preboil), and big enough for double batches.

I would go a little bigger, I have a 40qt aluminum pot and it works fine.

I have recently started to do BIAB, and wish it was little bigger. 50-60qt would be perfect.

chris

40qt is an odd duck of a size. It's more than big enough for 5 gallon batches (AG or extract) but just a bit too small for 10 gallon AG batches. If it's free or dirt cheap to you, go for it. If you're buying it, you may want to go a bit larger just in case you ever up your batch size. I'd suggest checking out the Sams Club website for stock pots if you're a member. They have some aluminum 56qt pots for about $50 plus shipping.

I found a 60qt at Sam's Club for $44. Is this thing going to fit on a single burner? I can't wait to see my wife's face when she sees this thing.

Back