$400 to start a Keezer?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

AlwaysWaven

Reaction score
Hello everyone. I am a mead maker who is adding beer to my brew list. I am interested in making a keezer, but only have about $400 to burn right now. Can you look at my list and see how it looks?

$158 - 6.8 cu ft freezer - I know I could find cheaper but this is new and has a 5 year compressor warranty. I never plan to go past 3 kegs.
$49 - CO2 Distributor 4-Way w/ 1/4" MFL shutoffs
$49 - Draft Brewer® Cold Crash™ Keezer Kit
$50 - Economy CO2 Regulator
$10 - 1/4" ID Beverage Tubing

Which puts me ~$310 without a keg or CO2 cannister. I am hoping that since I will start with one keg that I can get by without a collar for a while.

Thoughts?

You will want 3/16" beverage tubing.

Make sure you buy a used CO2 tank, as most places exchange tanks so your shiny new one would be replaced by a crappy old welder's tank. You might also want to spend the extra $25 for a good taprite dual body regulator. I've heard horror stories about cheap ones.

Since you're on a budget for it and don't want to build a collar right away, go with picnic taps. That Draft Brewer® Cold Crash™ Keezer Kit is going to MOST LIKELY cause a lot of foaming issues for you as it only has 5 ft of hose and isn't a flow control faucet.

Stick with that freezer (though I've come to prefer uprights, but they are usually more expensive). You will also need a temp controller for the freezer, I've become hooked on Inkbird here lately (they advertise sales on here all the time). You can either wait for them to post another discount code on here which will probably be soon, or search them on Amazon, they aren't too pricey to begin with.

If you never plan to go past 3 kegs, save some money and only get a 3-way manifold.

If that is the CO2 reg from NB, definitely shop around. You can get a better, dual-guage regulator for cheaper.

You will also need both gas and liquid disconnect, ball lock or pin lock, whichever keg style you choose to get. Along with those, you will need beverage hosing and gas hosing. Start at 12' of beverage hosing and your gas hosing can be as short as you want it. Go with just a picnic tap for now and save a bunch of money.

EDIT:: Don't even bother with the manifold if you're just starting with one keg, it's easy to add it on later.

Just to add a few things:

If you go with MFL fittings, you would have to buy the nut and barb for each gas line as well. If you use the valves with the bard, you can avoid having to do so and just use a clamp. This is not a comment on which is better, just upon which is cheaper. I use both in my set up for different reasons.

If you are not going to use a collar, then I don't think the "Cold Crash Keezer Kit will work for you. it looks to me to be designed to go through a collar. Personally, I would buy a better faucet than what is there, just because if they are not used regularly, they seem to stick closed. I was able to get my Perlick 630's for like $36 from Adventures In Homebrewing (sponsor plug :D). I think they even sell basic shank with the nipple built in for less than $15. Then all you will need is the QD and you are in business.

Have you considered just converting a small fridge to a two keg and tower set up? You can probably get that done for around the same money and then you wont have to build a collar. Downside is that (a) you will have 2 kegs on tap and not 3, and (b) it wont double as a fermentation chamber if that's your plan.

Also, despite my earlier post.. I still don't use the taps because I was lazy and had a picnic tap available. If you want to bide your time and go without a nice collar for a while, just use a picnic tap. There's nothing wrong with that, it works just as well.

Wow, thanks for the replies!

You will want 3/16" beverage tubing.

Make sure you buy a used CO2 tank, as most places exchange tanks so your shiny new one would be replaced by a crappy old welder's tank. You might also want to spend the extra $25 for a good taprite dual body regulator. I've heard horror stories about cheap ones.

3/16' on the gas and fluid?

I'll adjust for the taprite. https://www.amazon.com/dp/B0060NOX40/?tag=skimlinks_replacement-20 this one?

Since you're on a budget for it and don't want to build a collar right away, go with picnic taps. That Draft Brewer® Cold Crash™ Keezer Kit is going to MOST LIKELY cause a lot of foaming issues for you as it only has 5 ft of hose and isn't a flow control faucet.

Stick with that freezer (though I've come to prefer uprights, but they are usually more expensive). You will also need a temp controller for the freezer, I've become hooked on Inkbird here lately (they advertise sales on here all the time). You can either wait for them to post another discount code on here which will probably be soon, or search them on Amazon, they aren't too pricey to begin with.

If you never plan to go past 3 kegs, save some money and only get a 3-way manifold.

If that is the CO2 reg from NB, definitely shop around. You can get a better, dual-guage regulator for cheaper.

You will also need both gas and liquid disconnect, ball lock or pin lock, whichever keg style you choose to get. Along with those, you will need beverage hosing and gas hosing. Start at 12' of beverage hosing and your gas hosing can be as short as you want it. Go with just a picnic tap for now and save a bunch of money.

EDIT:: Don't even bother with the manifold if you're just starting with one keg, it's easy to add it on later.

http://www.homebrewing.org/Picnic-Tap-Assembly-Ball-Lock-barbed_p_1354.html

and drop the manifold?

I am a bit lost on the temp controler. Which model do you recommend?

I bought my keezer on CL for $400, it was used once. I had to spend $4 to replace a fitting.

Believe me, I have scoured!

Just to add a few things:

If you go with MFL fittings, you would have to buy the nut and barb for each gas line as well. If you use the valves with the bard, you can avoid having to do so and just use a clamp. This is not a comment on which is better, just upon which is cheaper. I use both in my set up for different reasons.

If you are not going to use a collar, then I don't think the "Cold Crash Keezer Kit will work for you. it looks to me to be designed to go through a collar. Personally, I would buy a better faucet than what is there, just because if they are not used regularly, they seem to stick closed. I was able to get my Perlick 630's for like $36 from Adventures In Homebrewing (sponsor plug :D). I think they even sell basic shank with the nipple built in for less than $15. Then all you will need is the QD and you are in business.

Have you considered just converting a small fridge to a two keg and tower set up? You can probably get that done for around the same money and then you wont have to build a collar. Downside is that (a) you will have 2 kegs on tap and not 3, and (b) it wont double as a fermentation chamber if that's your plan.

I like the idea of using it as a fermentation chamber if needed.

Last edited by a moderator:
Yeah, if you're just planning one keg for now, don't get the manifold yet. You'll go straight from the regulator to the keg.

That's a good price for the picnic tap, but you may have foaming issues. You could just build your own, but that is all up to you.

The temp controller is up to you, but I have two ITC-308 https://www.amazon.com/dp/B011296704/?tag=skimlinks_replacement-20 and an ITC-310T https://www.amazon.com/dp/B019Q3K4EI/?tag=skimlinks_replacement-20.

The ITC-310T is on my fermentation chamber and is great because you can set temperature set-points and duration. The ITC-308 I have on my kegerators.

if you have time to wait, you could do whatni did. my lhbs had a scratch and dent sale and i got all my kegging stuff for $200. the regulator was a nice one for 20. taps for $3 each. the kegs were 5 for $100. i got the co2 tank wholesale from my works supply house, $30. the only thing i paid full price on was the tubing. and the only thing wrong was a small bung stuck inside one of the taps. i had an extra fridge at home that worked perfect.

I think you just got extremely lucky Terek! Lol, I've never had any of my LHBS's (in multiple states) have a sale like that.

I am with the other guys on just going with picnic taps in the beginning.
I first bought a CO2 tank, but check around to see if they will fill it or just exchange it. If all they do is exchange, then just look around for a steel tank nothing fancy.

For your tubing, you will need 3/16 for the beverage side and I use 5/16 for the gas. I did eventually get a manifold, but if you only have one tank I would just get the dual body tank regulator (Taprite), as they are easy to find parts for them down the road if you need them, CO2 tank, hoses and picnic taps. You will also need to get your disconnects for you kegs whether they are ball locks or pin locks. Does not really matter which kegs you get you just want to stick with the same kind throughout as you expand. Pin Locks are cheaper, but they do not have the easy pressure relief valve, they are shorter, and they are a little wider. Try Keg Connection for some good deals at www.kegconnection.com.

Once you have your initial setup and are ready to expand, then go ahead and get you extra kegs along with a manifold. After you have completed all that, then think about building a keezer. With that comes the faucets, shanks, tail pieces, collar, and wrench. I decided to go all stainless steel faucets, shanks and tail pieces which makes it a little more expensive, but I know I will never have to worry about them seizes up on me, rusting, or the chrome coming off. I would wait for them to go on sale, then buy a couple at a time. Farmhouse brewing supply has a great price on stainless steel shanks at $15 bucks.

Hope this information helps.

I stock the Inkbird 308, the Taprite 752 regulator and ultrabarrier 3/16 bev line along with all the other parts. You will like the prices.

Quality stuff at very good prices and great service.

I would also recommend parting out rather than the keezer kit. and the Taprite regulator. I recently had to replace my cheapo regulator with a Taprite.

Sorry, Bobby_M I got mine elsewhere.. I don't remember why..

But I surely recommend:http://www.brewhardware.com/

I picked up a good sized chest freezer on Craigslist for $50, $1000 later I have a pretty nice keezer.

If you only have $400 to spend here is the minimum you need.

Freezer of some sort.
Temperature controller
Keg
CO2 Bottle
Regulator
Tubing
Picnic tap.

Everything else is optional and can be added later. If you get a chest freezer you may or may not have to add a collar right away to fit the kegs into it.

I would buy the basic minimums of equipment and as cheap as possible like a used freezer. Buy more kegs up front so you can fill the keezer and save money for even more kegs in the future and the expensive stainless faucets and shanks you will want to populate the keezer with.

I think you just got extremely lucky Terek! Lol, I've never had any of my LHBS's (in multiple states) have a sale like that.

i was quite suprised,myself. Its a local shop. The selection was pretty good, too. pots that had random holes for dirt cheap, and stuff like that. Pretty much everything for kegs. And they had at least 300 kegs all stacked on pallets. I got a plate chiller that was dented a bit on the side for $45. Plus free hot dogs and free sampler glasses of local beer on tap.

I just built a keezer and the folks above have given you good heartfelt advice.

I had a refrigerator at first--used picnic taps to get at the beer (could have two kegs in there and a CO2 tank and regulator). It worked ok, actually. Now it's going to become a fermentation chamber.

If you can take your time you'll find stuff on sale, or find deals. You don't say where you're located but around here stuff shows up on Craigslist from time to time. I just ran across a regulator/sankey coupler deal on Craigslist for $50. It was all I could do not to buy it because, well, I don't really need it.

You might look at https://www.homebrewtalk.com/showthread.php?t=574453 for CO2 tanks.

The one thing I would suggest is this: take your time and don't cheap out. I waited until I could find Perlick flow-control faucets on sale before I pounced; I didn't want to buy cheaper stuff and regret it later. Think on this way: six months from now, what do you want your keezer to be? In the meantime, picnic taps can work.

I just built a keezer and the folks above have given you good heartfelt advice.

I had a refrigerator at first--used picnic taps to get at the beer (could have two kegs in there and a CO2 tank and regulator). It worked ok, actually. Now it's going to become a fermentation chamber.

If you can take your time you'll find stuff on sale, or find deals. You don't say where you're located but around here stuff shows up on Craigslist from time to time. I just ran across a regulator/sankey coupler deal on Craigslist for $50. It was all I could do not to buy it because, well, I don't really need it.

You might look at https://www.homebrewtalk.com/showthread.php?t=574453 for CO2 tanks.

The one thing I would suggest is this: take your time and don't cheap out. I waited until I could find Perlick flow-control faucets on sale before I pounced; I didn't want to buy cheaper stuff and regret it later. Think on this way: six months from now, what do you want your keezer to be? In the meantime, picnic taps can work.

I would need a 10 pound steel tank?

I use 5# aluminum tanks in mine. I wanted two tanks so I'd have a backup. Probably out of your budget for now, but I like the smaller form factor.

FWIW, I also have a 10# aluminum tank I lucked into. A friend had it from many years ago, and a two-gauge regulator attached. He said I could have it if I bought him lunch (he was visiting from out of town).

Well. I accepted the proposition, had it tested and recertified and filled for $41. The regulator needed a new high pressure gauge (the original had been bent badly). For $10.95 I got a new one at my LHBS. So I have the 10-pounder as well as a backup regulator.

Agree with most above to go with picnic taps for now. I got back into brewing a couple of years ago, bought 2 chest freezers, one for fermentation, one for keezer. I did picnic taps until a few months ago when I finally got around to building my colllar. (In my case, it was less about budget, more about laziness... had the wood, taps, shanks etc sitting around for longer than I care to admit.)

I would suggest, however: get 10 ft lines with your picnic taps.... will avoid a lot of foam.

Also, http://www.kegconnection.com was mentioned above..... they were pretty close to cheapest when I bought my kegging supplies a while back; and they have pretty good kits.... I think you could get their 1 faucet basic kit and have all you need (except of freezer and temp control) (And the 2 faucet kit isn't TOO much more., and would be easier to upgrade to 3 taps (if you get the dual body regulator up front, particularly....) They have very competitive keg pricing, especially if you buy them with their kits.

Other random notes:
--Personally I preferred the idea of new chest freezers rather than craigslist roulette.... check for 4th of July sales this weekend at Sears, Best Buy, Lowes, etc, you might get a good deal.
-- Too lazy to search, but look for the thread here with the layouts of various freezers; will help maximize how much you can fit in your keezer.
-- Call welding supply places for CO2 fills.... shop around prices can vary. I'd even say the less web presence they have the more worth a call, so don't be afraid of digging up an old fashioned phone book.
-- Mead can be kegged, and can be made sparkling... I haven't done that in 20 years, but always liked it when I did.
-- I also second the inkbird controllers..... they work, and pretty sure they're the best deal going for pre-wired and ready to go. (In fact they beat plenty of the ones you have to do your own wiring on price, too.)

Depends on what equipment you already own but I'd jump on the Gardendale deal. Sell of the spare CO2 bottle and regulator and whatever else that may be extra to what you already have in your equipment.
I find any sort of kegging related gear sells fastest and easiest of any brewing related gear.

One thing to make sure is that the CO2 bottles are in current Hydro test. If not that will set you back an extra $30+ to refill. I would check out what it cost to hyrdro a tank locally and negotiate that off the price. This will definitely be the case for the stuff in storage 5 years.

I agree with Photopilot. Go with the gardendale one for 75 bucks more you get so much more equipment. Just make sure that you sell one of the nitrogen regulators and pick up one for a CO2 tank unless the regulator comes with and adapter. CO2 and nitrogen are two different regulator sizes.

I would get the Gardendale set up without a doubt. The ad says that the regulators are for nitro set ups, but I don't believe it because the fittings are for CO2 valved tanks, and the tanks have CO2 typical valves.

I would make sure you have a local place to have those tanks filled as opposed to swapped, like a welding supply store. It would be a shame to swap those tanks out for steel ones. Like what was said above, check the hydro stamp. Even if out of hydro I would probably still buy it, since each of those tanks new are around $80. I would try to knock a few bucks off if they were out of hydro.

@AlwaysWaven,
From experience--if you go picnic faucets they are cheap enough to have a couple extra's on hand just in case.

Cheers,
PV

Like photo said, they're OKAY deals.

The Nashville one probably isn't worth it for the reason of age. The tank is definitely out of hydro, the hoses and buckets probably need to be tossed, so what you're really getting out of it for ~$250 (after hydro and fill) is a 5# co2 bottle, a corny, a dozen? swing top bottles, burner, pot and a couple other things.

The Gardendale one is a pretty decent deal. You're looking at value of $50-$75 per corny (at least at my LHBS), roughly $50 per co2 bottle depending on hydro, maybe $25 per regulator (though one is missing a check valve, a must have IMHO), maybe another $50-$75 in the misc stuff. Puts value around $300-$375 if you were to piece it all together.

Whether it's worth it, up to you. If you're trying to keep your cost down and you don't want to have to resell stuff, then I wouldn't bother with it. You could probably put together just what you need cheaper and new.

And by the way, I'm 100% sure those aren't nitrogen regulators. They're dual gauge CO2 Taprites.

He sold all the kegging stuff before he responded to my email. Offered me the rest for $100. I was thinking more like $25 if he delivers.

Back to the drawing board.

No worries man, like I said, it was only borderline a good deal. You can put together the kegging portion of what you need for cheaper.

Back