4 year BIAB brewer

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

VipperOfVipp

Reaction score
Hello everyone,

I have been using this site for a long time and finally decided it was time to start contributing back. I have been brewing for about 5 years and started with BIAB about 4 years ago. BIAB was just starting to get more recognition around that point and I jumped on board. It gave me the tools to make the beer I desire with a simple set up.

Thanks for all the great questions and answers on this site and I hope to contribute as I can.

I am also brewing my first silly high OG beer next week https://www.homebrewtalk.com/showthread.php?t=550771, so if you have any tips, please let me know! :tank:

- Vipp

Welcome aboard. We can always use more BIABers.

Edit: As for tips on brewing big beers, be sure to take into account the loss of efficiency that comes with larger grain bills. The chart below shows what happens to lauter efficiency (mash efficiency = conversion efficiency times lauter efficiency) for both no sparge and batch sparge as a function of grain bill weight for various grain absorption rates (long drains and/or bag squeezing lower absorption rate.) Constant 6.7 gal pre-boil volume assumed for all cases.

BIAB No Sparge vs Sparge big beers.png

Brew on :mug:

Welcome aboard. We can always use more BIABers.

Edit: As for tips on brewing big beers, be sure to take into account the loss of efficiency that comes with larger grain bills. The chart below shows what happens to lauter efficiency (mash efficiency = conversion efficiency times lauter efficiency) for both no sparge and batch sparge as a function of grain bill weight for various grain absorption rates (long drains and/or bag squeezing lower absorption rate.) Constant 6.7 gal pre-boil volume assumed for all cases.

Brew on :mug:

Wow, that is really interesting. The bottom line trends at about 4% efficiency loss for each additional 3lbs of grain, so I will use that in Beersmith.

Thank you for the info and the warm welcome!

Back