4 weeks in fermenter, safe to repitch?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

DavidSwede

Reaction score
Hi!

I pitched Brett Brux Trois Vrai WLP648 four weeks ago into a giner brett IPA. There was no visible activity after 72 hours but I left it, repeating to myself that 'no airlock activity doesnt mean no fermentation'. Then I just never got around to doing a gravity reading.... 4 weeks later I have finally done one and fund that there was indeed no yeast activity. Still reading OG.

Is there any chance of repitching and saving this batch? It wasnt visibly mouldy and still smelled sweet. Is it safe to repitch and try again?

Thanks for help!

David

I'm not an expert on infections but wouldn't one consume sugar? If you're still at your OG sounds like you had immaculate sanitization, maybe even reached sterilization. Re pitch it!

if you're still at the same og as when you started, there's something goimg on - pitched too hot, maybe?anyways, toss in some new yeast and see what you get. You may need to adjust later - maybe with some extra dry hopping - a month later stuff may have faded out.

Personally I'd dump it.

Infections in homebrew are typically considered safe because of the low pH and alcohol present. Active fermentation drives both of these in the right direction. Without a primary fermentation taking place, you're greatly increasing the risk of a more dangerous infection like botulism.

Maybe I'm talking out of my ass here, though. A good resource would the Milk the Funk guys on Facebook for this one.

Last edited:
Back