4 prong dryer vs twist lock receptacle

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

nosnhojm20

Reaction score
Anyone have a preference over either? I have no idea what I'd use it for aside from the brewery but if one had an advantage for whatever reason it would be good to know. Nothing comes to mind for me. Thanks in advance!

Well for one they lock into place which means they are less likely to be accidentally disconnected you know because of shenanigans

Sent from my iPhone using Home Brew

I went with dryer outlet on the house circuit (GFI breaker). I put all twist lock on the CP so if anything happened to it or the cord the line would hopefully part at the house outlet killing power to the whole rig. It's pretty easy to get a 4 conductor dryer cord and put a female twist lock on the end. I like the twist lock on the CP since I break my rig down every brew day. These things are heavy duty, make a strong connection, and should last longer than the CP.

Pardon my ignorance, what is a CP?

Context: I plan on a GFCI from the box to a dedicated outlet. What kind of outlet do you prefer? And hopefully why?

CP is most likely Control Panel.

I don't have an electric rig (yet) but it seems most people do what you describe. GFCI in breaker box to 4 dryer plug. Then, 4 dryer plug to twist-lock plug. Twist-lock goes into control panel.

Exactly! I didn't know if a twist lock on the wall instead of a dryer plug had any advantages. Doesn't sound like it.

Agree with people above, have the setup webby describes and it works without issue.

Almost Famous Brewing Company

I can see two points pro twist lock -
- it's. smaller.
- It's OK to install it on the bottom of control panel.

But it's more expensive.

Otherwise drier type receptacle as good as twist lock.

I'm personally in favor of twist locks in all my equipment. I've seen tons of range and dryer plugs and recepts fail over the years. I've only seen a couple twistlocks burn up. Typically range and dryer plugs get plugged in and stay there for years so they work fine for that type of use. If your setup involves plugging and unplugging from the wall your equipment. I would recommend twistlocks.

I have a normal 4 pronged non-twist at the wall and a 10ft dryer cord wired directly to the terminal blocks in my panel. Haven't tried a brew yet, but I can tell from plugging the cable into the outlet that it isn't going to leisurely disconnect. The dryer cord has a 90 degree bend straight out of the outlet, so even a quick tug on the cord wouldn't likely have any impact.

If controlling project costs is important, a dryer plug is a perfectly acceptable, and code compliant way to wire your gear.

Twist-lock fittings are definitely more user friendly though.

I have a normal 4 pronged non-twist at the wall and a 10ft dryer cord wired directly to the terminal blocks in my panel. Haven't tried a brew yet, but I can tell from plugging the cable into the outlet that it isn't going to leisurely disconnect. The dryer cord has a 90 degree bend straight out of the outlet, so even a quick tug on the cord wouldn't likely have any impact.

njenabnit-

Are you saying you have wired a dryer cord directly to your panel and you are plugging that cable into your control panel?

I want to be clear because I do not think that resembles code or would pass inspection. It is fine if you want to do it and it is probably safe, just could cause problems if an inspector sees it.

In our house the previous owner would take extension cords and plug one side into an outlet and run the line to wherever and cut the end of and terminate it in a junction box. to provide power for whatever. Once an inspector saw that he kept finding other things. Adding a simple sub-panel just tripled in cost.

This is an interesting discussion, thanks to the OP for the question.

-t

With proper strain relief I don't see anything wrong with hardwiring the cord into a panel, especially if it's permanently mounted. Should be treated the same as a dryer, stove, or hot tub.

If you use triclover Fittings, it may be hard to get the 4th wire hooked up. I use 3L-30 and ground to any/everything, the stand, pots, panel. copper house water lines, everything is grounded over and over. I don't know what the 4th ground wire will do for me?

njenabnit-

Are you saying you have wired a dryer cord directly to your panel and you are plugging that cable into your control panel?

I want to be clear because I do not think that resembles code or would pass inspection. It is fine if you want to do it and it is probably safe, just could cause problems if an inspector sees it.

In our house the previous owner would take extension cords and plug one side into an outlet and run the line to wherever and cut the end of and terminate it in a junction box. to provide power for whatever. Once an inspector saw that he kept finding other things. Adding a simple sub-panel just tripled in cost.

This is an interesting discussion, thanks to the OP for the question.

-t

Sorry, to clarify: I have a 4 prong dryer cord wired directly into my control panel for the brewery. I have a dedicated 240v 30 amp gfi outlet in my garage that I plug that cord into.

Back to the OP... If you haven't already picked up your outlets, go home and pull the plug on your dryer to see how it fits. I know mine was tight enough to relieve any worries about accidentally pulling the plug. After that, consider the benefits of having twist lock mentioned in this thread. I went with the standard plug due to not being able to justify the cost vs benefit.

I use jumper cables and rubber gloves. I hook straight to the aerial drop to the house before the meter. My jumper cables do terminate in a twist lock at the control panel though. I like to do things right;)

njenabnit-
Makes perfect sense to me now. I am not sure where my disconnect was.

Ischiavo-
I want to go to the Halloween parties at your house.

Back