4.5 month primary, time to bottle. Pitch extra yeast in bottling bucket?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

BeachBeerBoo

Reaction score
So I've left my porter in primary since Xmas, about 4.5 months. 1.54 OG, 1.13 FG. Planning to bottle this weekend.

I'm doubting there's enough yeast left in suspension to bottle carb. Should I pitch some dry yeast in with the priming sugar? If so, how much and what kind? Fermented with wlp-002 . Thanks!

Highly doubt you'll need to pitch any fresh yeast. I've gone months and months many times without it. It may take a little extra time to carbonate though, but probably not much more than a few days or couple weeks extra.

There's probably enough yeast to carb the beer, but 5 months at about 5%ABV will take its toll on the yeast. Most breweries use 1 million cells per ml for bottle conditioning. That's 0.05g of yeast per liter of beer. I would use safale US-05.

would US 05 be a bad idea because of its poor floccuation. That would make a cloudy bottle right?

Back