4.5 inches of trub in my wheat beer.

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ding_brew

Reaction score
I just brewed a wheat this morning using 6.6lb of Briess Bavarian Wheat liquid extract, 1 lb of the same but DME, 1/2 lb of oat flakes and 1/2 lb of wheat flakes. A few hours later and my carboy had 4.5 inches of trub at the bottom. I have brewed a wheat before and this did not happen. Any ideas on what could have gone wrong. I imagine I will be lucky to get 4 gallons from this.

image-3270716887.jpg

You might find that your trub will compact and tighten as you let it settle for a week or two. I wouldn't get discouraged yet.

Alternatively, you should try whirlpooling and letting you wort settle in the kettle for 20 mins before you siphon it off. That is unless you don't already.

Hahaha. Nice work dingbrew!

I had this same problem when I was doing extract, and from a wheat beer. I never wrote a thread, but only due to the fact that by when I found my camera, it had compressed!

I hope someone will search this someday and learn from your trials. Isn't that what this is all about?

5 years later and that's exactly what happened lol. Just brewed a wheat yesterday, looked at the primary and saw 4in of trub. Hopped on HBT and found this! Thanks fellas

Back