3rd generation washed yeast bubbling away

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

OHIOSTEVE

Reaction score
I brewed yesterday and pitched some washed and started Nottingham yeast. This is my third generation from the same packet. I know it isn't a big money saver with notty but it is a cool aspect of the hobby.

I do the same thing. Mabye someday I will buy some liquid yeast to keep in my farm but until I do, Notty,S04,US05 will do just fine:mug:

More than the cool factor, it is also handy. The closest brew store here is 1hr drive. I Pitched some washed knotty last week and some washed house cultures yesterday, all three started quickly and are performing well.

Properly washed, stored and prewarmed yeast sometimes starts quicker than dry yeast.

Keep on brewing my friends:mug:

How many generations have you guys been able to sustain before it's goes bad? I've gotten >15 generations from S-33 alone! :rockin:

I stop at 3-4 ... but each batch, washed, yields 2-3 pint mason jars for the next starter, so I start to lose track ... and that's when I break down and fork over $7 for a fresh vial !

I do it mostly for the convenience.

I had a mason jar of 4th generation Irish Ale yeast that had sat in my fridge 10 months before I used it again and it took right off with no problems. I've used WLP001 after more than a dozen generations with no noticeable problems as well. My new practice is to build up a fresh pack/vial and harvest 5 1/2 pint jars from that.

I had a mason jar of 4th generation Irish Ale yeast that had sat in my fridge 10 months before I used it again and it took right off with no problems. I've used WLP001 after more than a dozen generations with no noticeable problems as well. My new practice is to build up a fresh pack/vial and harvest 5 1/2 pint jars from that.

It's awesome to hear there is others who uses yeast in a similar way! It's also so much cheaper in the long run than buying yeast each time. I know S-33 is only 4.00 but honestly in 10 generations alone it's 40.00 in yeast alone. I'd rather use that to get a 50lb bag of base malt or hops!

FWIW, I recently made, and used, a starter of harvested WY3787 that had been in the fridge for close to 18 months and it was great in the finished beer.

And to the OP, I think the 3rd pitch of washed yeast is the best pitch

Could someone please direct me to "How to wash yeast" and "How to make a starter culture"? I'm brewing a Belgian Abbot Ale in a few days using 2 vials of WYeast Trappist High Gravity 3787 yeast at a cost of $14 and would like to retrieve it for future use.
Go Alabama!

Thanks in advance.

Bones

Back