3500 watt Tomlinson induction cooktop (220V) $123

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Owly055

Reaction score
http://www.katom.com/067-1022751.html

This doesn't appear to be a "teaser" price as it's posted on a number of sites, It is discounted. 3500 watt is extremely powerful.

H.W.

induction.jpg

Just joined to answer your question. I actually bought a pair of these from Katom a few months ago. I have been brewing all grain for about two years. Went from stovetop BIAB to a borrowed propane burner to these and I definitely like induction the best. So far I have brewed 7 batches on them with as much as a 7.5-gallon boil in an 8-gallon pot.

It is easily enough power for 5-gallon batches. I use a 5-gallon igloo for a mash tun and then drain into my pitcher to transfer into the boil kettle. If I turn on the burner while batch sparging, it is usually at a vigorous boil in about 5-10 minutes after I finally fill it. Once boiling I have to turn it down to avoid boil-over.

It has both power settings and temp settings. I do use the temp setting to heat up strike and sparge water, but it isn't very accurate, sometimes even bringing it to a boil. The lower settings in both modes pulse the element on and off for a few seconds at a time rather than just reducing heat.

In terms of quality I am quite pleased. Cleanup is super easy because of the flat top and there is no danger Of water getting inside. My only complaint is that despite the large surface area of the plate top, the heating element seems to be only about 6-7 inches in diameter and donut shaped as evidenced by the pattern on the bottom of my kettle after the boil.

The price was right for me and so far I would definitely recommend them. In hindsight I really don't need two (not sure what I was thinking), but I have done a couple back-to-back batches and having both helps a lot with heating strike water while boiling.

View attachment ImageUploadedByHome Brew1418514315.668167.jpg

Hey DogSlobber thanks a lot for sharing your experience with the unit, there not much information available on this cooktop.

Do you got an idea of how much time does it take to get from tap to mash temp ?

And what type of plug did the unit use ? Is it NEMA 6-20P like the avantco ? Do you plug it straight in your 240v 4 prong outlet ?

Thanks again

Thanks for your ad hoc review, DogSlobber. I have an Advanco IC3500, and they seem very similar, also with the same smallish 6-7" heating area in my triple ply pots (as well as skillets, Dutch ovens, wok, etc).

Do you need 2? Good question.
I've been thinking about getting a 2nd one, but not sure why, maybe for step mashes and decoctions, although you could do it all on the same burner. You're only heating one kettle at a time, either mash or boil. For batches back to back, yes a 2nd one would be handy. Or mount an element in an old kettle for HLT, with a simple on/off switch.

In the IC3500 thread AnOldUr uses a neoprene jacket to achieve and maintain 13 gallon boils. My wide ass 15 gal kettles with bubble wrap/Refectix get close, but not quite there, unless I keep the lid on part way.

Back