35 gallon plastic conical build

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

SMITHN8R

Reaction score
After getting some great ideas from other members I finally decided to give it a go with my own plastic conical fermenter. I do 20 gal. Batches as of now, and the 4- five gallon buckets were a pain. This project will be a slow process, building it as time and money allow. I will update as I go and hopefully someone can give me some input, and others can learn from my mistakes.

I built the stand out of scrap I have in my treasure pile outback. I bent the rings out of # 3 rebar. ImageUploadedByHome Brew1409802128.542793.jpg
ImageUploadedByHome Brew1409802153.188670.jpg
ImageUploadedByHome Brew1409802182.310153.jpg
I will eventually cut diamond plate or something cool to mount to the little four wheel flat cart and the fermenter will attach to that making it easy to wheel from the shop after brewing, to the little room behind it that has a kick ass AC. I will prob mount my pump , chiller, filters and what not to the cart as well.

The lid to my top port of the conical is kinda small, making it hard to work in. I noticed that some of the plastic lip was only there to attach a lanyard that was on the lid. I easily cut it's away with a roto zip giving me just enough room to get an arm all the way in and still see what I'm doing.
ImageUploadedByHome Brew1409802493.607899.jpg
ImageUploadedByHome Brew1409802518.831432.jpg

I finally got some pieces to build my rotating racking arm I decided to go with 3/4" stainless tubing to give me a good flow, this way the 1/2" valve port will not be restricted by the inside diameter of my tubing. I probably could have used 5/8", but this is all experimental at this point.
ImageUploadedByHome Brew1409802686.364558.jpg

The hole I drilled at 13/16" with a step bit was just perfect so the nipple threaded in.
ImageUploadedByHome Brew1409802869.556382.jpg

I got it all fitted up and rotating. I would have liked a little more bend on the tubing, but this piece was free, so, I use what I got.
ImageUploadedByHome Brew1409802788.940648.jpg
ImageUploadedByHome Brew1409802892.250636.jpg
ImageUploadedByHome Brew1409802912.965777.jpg

Next step will be the bottom bulkhead for the dump valve, then I can leak test before moving on. I will post more when I get there. Any ideas, input, whatever is appreciated because I have no idea what I'm doing.

Wow! Way cool.

:mug:

I hope to follow your woes from start to brew ;) j/k.

Few questions: What's the recycle number on that plastic? Also, what's that orange label for/say? Is that plastic previously used for other applications?

Looking forward to your progress!

PS

A+ for building your own stand, and out of re-bar!!!!!!!

I'll take a couple pics of the labels so you guys can check it out, it just says some safety stuff about temp, and pressure. I'll post pics tomorrow. I bought the tank new. It is the inductor tank style. I kinda wished I would have purchased full drain, but I read those guys are having issues with the two piece lid system. I'm not sure exactly what kind of plastic it is, but I'll dig up the link for everyone to check out their tanks. It was pretty affordable, I think it was about $80, but I'll find my receipt. I made the stand a little taller than most because I do not want to bend over while dumping trub and harvesting yeast. It will also make kegging a little more comfortable in my opinion. Just my preference, and I at least for now I think it was a good choice, I'll find out when I start using it. I am definitely not married to the stand, and I have no problem busting out the cut off wheel down the road.

I wouldn't be "wheeling" that thing around with a load of liquid in it!
The C G is a bit high, and you could run over an eyelash on the floor and flip that rascal!

Good point about the center of gravity, maybe I will take some steel plate out of my treasure pile to balance it a little, either way, I was a professional mover for several years and can do some great tricks with a flat cart, that being said I should be able to make one hell of a 20 gallon mess given half a chance, or an eyelash. Thanks for the input, will def. Consider that when attaching to the cart.

I installed it at the ten gallon mark in case I do any small experiment batches. Any lower and I would possibly interfere with my racking arm. If I ever do a really small batch like 5 gallons, I have some fermi meter adhesive strips I can put down lower, I'm just not sure how accurate they are, but they seem to work on car boys well enough, so should be fine, but my intention is to do bigger batches with proven recipes, not smaller batches.

I looked and I didn't see one.....I thought they only put that on disposables? Anyways, don't know much about recycling other than CRV plastic/glass and scrap plastic/glass when I take mine in for beer money every couple months. I'll make a point too clean it up a little and look for the recycling # this weekend for ya....

This is straight from the site:

"FDA Approved Polyethylene Resin

Great For:

-Fresh Water
-Beer Fermentation Tank
-Wine Fermentation
-BioDiesel Tanks"

I've subb'd, Good luck on this venture man!

Could you specify each piece of your racking arm/valve? Size (looks mostly 1/2") type of thread and types of fittings?

Sent from my iPhone using Home Brew

ImageUploadedByHome Brew1409939792.867135.jpg
Here are the parts I used for the racking arm...,from left to right,
- 3/4" stainless tubing bent at a 90. Ideally this would be sanitary tubing which is polished inside and out. I polished this piece up myself with steel wool. Also, I would have liked more bend, but I do not have a tubing bender, and I got this piece for free. I chose 3/4" tubing so that the inside diameter would not restrict the flow of my 1/2" valve. I may have been able to do this w 5/8" tubing depending on the wall thickness, but 3/4" definitely will not restrict flow.
- the next 3 pieces are from McMaster Carr. They have an excellent downloadable app that makes searching for parts a breeze, seriously, it's the best app I've ever seen. One thing I didn't like was the compression nut came coated, which I easily sanded off. Here are the part numbers and specs....
ImageUploadedByHome Brew1409940306.789883.jpg
ImageUploadedByHome Brew1409940318.568210.jpg
ImageUploadedByHome Brew1409940329.665593.jpg
ImageUploadedByHome Brew1409940348.897734.jpg
- next is a standard weldless set up for a 1/2" ball valve, I got these on amazon pretty cheap. I do wish the threaded nipple was a little longer because it barely clears the conical which makes threading tricky.

Anyhow, there you go, I hope this helps, any more q's feel free.....

Added a couple pieces tonight, stainless bulkhead and reducer bushing for triclamp fitting. Next need to add the dump valve, some Teflon tape and do a leak test.ImageUploadedByHome Brew1410586980.018047.jpg
ImageUploadedByHome Brew1410586998.731648.jpg
ImageUploadedByHome Brew1410587023.764157.jpg
ImageUploadedByHome Brew1410587058.609110.jpg
Gettin there, slowly but surely.........

Wish I could have found about an inch shorter bulkhead fitting, but other than that I love it. Seriously, it is like treasure to me.

Also gonna remove the stickers and clean it up a bit. What do you guys think about light contamination? I was gonna throw a blanket over it or something........any ideas?

What site did you get the conical from? I found a couple but would like someone who has good customer service.

Sent from my iPhone using Home Brew

This is the company I got the tank from. It is American tank co. They are in Windsor Ca. Which is about three hours from me. They have Excellent customer service! It was not practical for me to drive three hours to pick up the tank, and since their shipping came direct from factory, it was going to cost more for shipping than the tank itself. So, I talked to a lady there and she told me that if I could wait awhile, she would have the tank put on the next factory shipment they were going to receive at their location in Windsor. From there, it was very reasonable to have it shipped to my house in Elk Grove via UPS. This was not the normal way for them to process, but I explained to her what I was using it for, and that I was on a budget, and she went out of her way to save me money on shipping. I guess the factory doesn't ship UPS. So, anyways, Excellent customer service!
http://www.watertanks.com

The tank I got is the inductor style which is not full draining, there is a little bit of a place the yeast could sit next to the bulkhead. You might want to look at the full drain style inductor tanks, but look at the lid set up because I saw some builds online where the lids were two piece and giving problem with sealing. Anyways, something to consider. Also, the stands they sell are pricey, and will make the shipping go up, so that's why I made my own. Anyhow,I am happy with mine. Best of luck to you. Anymore Q's feel free, I'll be updating soon.

The threads on my lid are molded into the top of the tank so it is a one piece lid, and I just ordered a large o ring that I believe will seal it for fermentation, I'll post pics when I set the lid up. Also going to be adding an inlet for the wort, and an airlock/ blowoff tube.

Finally had some time to work on my project. Built a cart for the fermenter stand. Mounted pump and chiller to cart. Wired pump switch to stand. Installed wort in valve to top of fermenter. Installed airlock/ blowoff fitting to top of fermenter. Finished leak test on previously installed racking arm and other fittings. Still waiting on a few things.

Here is everything so far......View attachment ImageUploadedByHome Brew1419563248.913073.jpg

The pump and switch mounted.....View attachment ImageUploadedByHome Brew1419563296.844957.jpg

The chiller. This will be getting an oxygenation unit installed on back of the four way fitting going to fermenter.View attachment ImageUploadedByHome Brew1419563395.345464.jpg

The wort in valve.....View attachment ImageUploadedByHome Brew1419563425.135096.jpg

The airlock/blowoff fitting......View attachment ImageUploadedByHome Brew1419563459.255776.jpg

That's it for now. Any ideas,concerns,questions,comments, I will appreciate them all!

Will update when I do more work, still have a lot to do. Thanks for stopping by, cheers!

Back