301 stainless hose clamps

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

D-west

Reaction score
I found a box of hose clamps in the garage. I looked them up they are stainless, but they are 301. I need a couple for my MLT for the tube that goes from the false bottom elbow to the bulkehead barb. Would they work ok?

PN: MS-35842-11

PN: AN737TW-56

1223161949.jpg

Per this website, https://www.marlinwire.com/blog/wha...ess-steel-with-regard-to-corrosion-properties

In mildly corrosive environments at normal ambient temperatures, the corrosion resistance of grade 301 and grade 304 stainless isn’t very different. Generally speaking, grade 301 tends to be a little less corrosion resistant than grade 304 because the 301 alloy has a lower chromium content and a higher level of carbon.

That said, unless the hose is really loose, I'd skip the hose clamps. It'll make it a lot easier to disassemble for cleaning.

Per this website, https://www.marlinwire.com/blog/wha...ess-steel-with-regard-to-corrosion-properties

In mildly corrosive environments at normal ambient temperatures, the corrosion resistance of grade 301 and grade 304 stainless isn’t very different. Generally speaking, grade 301 tends to be a little less corrosion resistant than grade 304 because the 301 alloy has a lower chromium content and a higher level of carbon.

That said, unless the hose is really loose, I'd skip the hose clamps. It'll make it a lot easier to disassemble for cleaning.

Ok thanks for the info, I read that as well, so mash is considered a mild corrosive?

I thought about that, the hose fits tight over the barb on the elbow, and it wont come off the other barb easily because the entire bottom has to move up and away to take it off. My worry is when it gets warm the silicone becomes a little more pliable.

I guess ill just be careful around it with my mash paddle.

Thanks!

Well pH is typically in the neighborhood of 5.2 with temps from 140F-ish to 170F-ish. It might take a while, but you could see issues with corrosion down the line. FWIW, I have a similar setup with no hose clamps. Never had an issue with the hose coming off.

Back