$300 Gift, what should I buy?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

coopertrooper

Reaction score
Hey all,

I was just gifted a catalyst fermentor (which I am returning), ended up around $300 (Canadian) which is a lot in my opinion for a plastic fermenter. I'm going to return it to get something else.

If you had an extra $300 where would you say the money is best spent? Unfortunately can't put it towards a kegging system at the moment since I have no space for it.

Current equipment:
-50L aluminum stock pot
-4 glass carboys
-numerous buckets
-stir plate
-erlenmeyer flask
-grain mill
-immersion chiller
-misc ( auto siphon, ph meter, refractometer etc...)

I was considering buying a couple fast ferments, or maybe a new brew kettle.

Anyways fire away. If you had $300 to spend what would you spend it on?

Last edited:
Well, if I had your $300...I’d have $225. :cool: But, either way, I think I’d use a windfall to buy ingredients. It looks like you have everything you need to make beer so why not buy grain, hops, and yeast and make some more?
Yeah Canada eh? Hahaha. Believe me I have considered this. You are right I already have everything to make good beer. I just thought since it was a gift that I should have something more "permanent" to remember it by.

Get rid of the glass carboys (you might even be able to sell them for a little extra $). If you're fermenting in buckets, then I agree with buying bulk ingredients (since you have a mill and all) so you can brew even more.

Last edited:
i'd think the Stainless pot would be good.....10 gallon cooler? pump?
This is kind of where I am leaning towards. I've been brewing with the stock pot for over a year. It would be nice to have a temperature gauge and valve. Its tough to find a good kettle where I live though.

Sounds like you need a good stainless kettle. a kegmentor would also be nice to ferment in. Could also be used to serve out of if if you get a kegerator later

Looking down the road long term, I would put it towards a stainless fermenter capable of taking some pressure and possibly yeast harvesting.

Otherwise,

Blichmann beer gun (assuming you're bottling)
CO2 tank & regulator (oxygen free transfers and using the beer gun)
bottles/growlers
cleaning/sanitizing chemicals (PBW/starsan).

Back