30 year old wine still in carboys!

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

JoshPoblocki

Reaction score
I found four 5 gallon carboys full of wine. They still have sediment at the bottom. A friends grandfather made wine, and passed 40 years ago. these 4 unfortunate carboys didn't make it to the final steps, and there they sat waiting to be bottled. It certainly doesn't taste like vinegar. just like VERY strong wine.. What can i do to make this enjoyable to drink?
IMAG2552_zps267ee35a.jpg
[/URL][/IMG]
IMAG2556_zpsff636b60.jpg
[/URL][/IMG]

That happened to me! Well, not to me personally, but my neighbor gave me a jug of "plum brandy". He made it about 30 years ago, and forgot about it and then found it and bottled it about 5 years ago in big wine jugs.

It's good- but since it had oxidized (like yours has, from the picture), it has "sherry" notes and "brandy" like flavors.

If it tastes good to you, bottle it by siphoning into bottles and corking them!

I'd probably buy a bottling bucket, a bottling wand, and some tubing and siphon to the bottling bucket first (so you don't have to deal with all that sediment), and then fill the bottles with a bottling wine and then cork them.

That happened to me! Well, not to me personally, but my neighbor gave me a jug of "plum brandy". He made it about 30 years ago, and forgot about it and then found it and bottled it about 5 years ago in big wine jugs.

It's good- but since it had oxidized (like yours has, from the picture), it has "sherry" notes and "brandy" like flavors.

If it tastes good to you, bottle it by siphoning into bottles and corking them!

I'd probably buy a bottling bucket, a bottling wand, and some tubing and siphon to the bottling bucket first (so you don't have to deal with all that sediment), and then fill the bottles with a bottling wine and then cork them.

Thank you! Your right, it certainly does taste like a brandy. So you saying to just bottle this, huh? Should i add anything to it?, or just give it a nice clean siphon, and call it a day,

Back