$30 vs $60 Burner

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

htims05

Reaction score
Should I get a cheap $30 burner from my local cabelas that's rated at 55,000 BTU or something online that's closer to $60 and a bit higher BTU like the Dark Star burner from Northern Brewer (https://www.northernbrewer.com/collections/burners/products/dark-star-burner-2-0).

I'll be starting my first batch with 5 Gallons so I'm concerned the cheap ones won't be sturdy enough to hold up the large kettle.

The cheap burner will hold your boiling pot just fine but it may not have sufficient heat output to boil the wort in a reasonable amount of time or maybe not at all on a cold, windy day.

I have been using a $28 burner I got at Walmart that's rated at 55,000 BTU (sold as a fish fryer). The burner works fine for doing 5 gal batches, but there are two issues with it I should mention. The stand was pretty flimsy, I had to wield extra support pieces onto the stand and re-wield the pot support since whoever made it really only tacked it together. Also it has a waffle style burner so it makes way more soot that my buddies banjo style burner.

I have the turkey fryer for my HLT and a Bayou Classic SP-10 for my boil kettle. The SP-10 would be closer to the Dark Star than a turkey fryer. I find it a bit hotter/faster than the turkey fryer. So it is a step up. With my turkey fryer there is a sensor that needed to be disabled for it to stay lit. It was simply pull the wires off the sensor and connect them to other wires.

If you can afford it, take the next step and get a Blichmann burner. They are much better, stainless steel, quieter and much more fuel efficient.

I wish I went that route early, I never did. Now I am looking to go to electric instead of propane.

Back