30 Minute White IPA - Wheat & short boil = DMS?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

lolcats

Reaction score
I'm looking to experiment a little and do a 30 Minute White IPA (30min mash / 30min boil)

My only concern is DMS for a 30 minute (vigorous) boil. So i'm substituting pilsner malt for 2 row. But how about wheat? Do I risk getting DMS from a short wheat boil?

Sorry if this was answered elsewhere, can't find anything.

Thanks

Recipe would be 60% 2 row / 40% wheat
Summit for bittering, Citra and Amarillo for flavor
Around 50 IBUs
Ale yeast (maybe notty)

FWIW, I'm under the impression dms is more often associated with pilsner malt than it is with 2 row. Hopefully someone can clarify.

Anyone? I guess no one really knows. I'm going to try this this weekend on a 1 gallon batch and report back.

30 min mash / 30 min boil
mash temp 151 - OG 1.050
Nottingham ale yeast

0.12 oz Summit @ 30
0.12 oz Citra @ 15
0.24 oz Amarillo @ 5
0.12 oz Citra @ Dry hop
0.24 oz Amarillo @ Dry hop

4g orange peel @ 5
2g lemon peel @ 5
2g coriander seeds @ 5

I don't believe wheat is a heavy contributor to DMS. Without the large portion of pils, you're probably fine

Hey guys, just coming back to say that everything went according to plan.

OG was spot on 1.050, using extra grains to make up for less boil off. I tasted the wort and couldn't detect anything different from usual 60 min mash / 60 min boils.

I will report back with the final beer.

But it was definitely the quickest brewday ever done. less than 2 hours grain to fermenter!

Well this one turn out very good, one of the best i've made. I could have added a little more peels and coriander.

I'm getting a little resin from the amarillo though, i like the pine/resin in my beers. But didn't want any in this one. Will see if it melos out.

No issues with the short mash and short boil.

image.jpg

Back