30 min boil for hop bursted extract IPA?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

1Mainebrew

Reaction score
Was wondering, to get a crazy fast brew day (for those days you really don't have enough time to brew but do it anyways), could you hop burst an extract IPA using a 15-30 minute boil or is this a no no?

I see no reason why not. I made an ipa with only <15 minute additions with great results. Use a LOT of hops (8-12 oz in 5 gal batch).

I did this a couple months ago. An extract amber ale with chinook and a 30 minute boil. My results were great

Sweet! I'm going to brew an extract IPA this week even though I totally don't have time. It will almost take me as much time to make my starter as it will to brew the whole beer!

6 lb amber DME

1 oz centennial 10 min
1 oz CTZ 10 min
1 oz centennial 5 min
1 oz CTZ 5 min
2 oz centennial 2 min
2 oz CTZ 2 min

OG should be 1.050
IBU should be 62.

15 min boil!

I do 15 minute boil extract/specialty grain brews all the time. I'm always happy with the results, so I keep doing it. As long as you make sure you will get enough IBUs in the short boil, you should be good to go.

Did this a few weeks ago with more beers American brown ale extract kit. Went into the keezer to carb up, should be on tap tomorrow after noon.

If this turns out as good as the gravity sample was, which I'm hoping it will be better, then this method will make extract beers even more appealing than they already are time savings wise.

Yeah it's not my preferred brewing method, but when you really want to brew and have no time, this will fit the bill until there's time for an AG brew day.

After all the reassurance from you all, I'm more confident now that my results can be good. Thanks!

My "house" pale ale that i'm working on only has a 30 minute boil. The base recipe I'm tweaking is directly from Goose Island so I'm pretty sure it's fine. Tasted good the first time!

Does anyone think that this technique is better or worse suited for a given style? For example, I have a saison recipe that I wrote that includes just a 60 and 5 minute hop addition. Looking at it again, I can get the same IBU's from a 30 minute addition with only a slight increase in hops compared to the 60 minute addition.

IMO, it is best do it it in a beer where you want a lot of hop flavor and aroma. For a pale ale, this is exactly what you want. For a stout or porter, not so much.

I've been thinking about doing the same in a APA and my Wheat. Id still do a 60 min boil just remove the 60 minute addition and up the 30 min addition using my brewing software to calculate the same IBU factor. Been thinking about trying just a first wort addition with some Chinook in my wheat. Northern Brewer does it for their Alt i think and they call it Reverse Burst for the First Wort Hopping.

Rock Chalk

Chris

I should have used a hop bag because the hops just won't drop out in the keg. I did it again with a Munich Helles, just extra light DME and some Tettnang, bottled it Thursday. We shall see, the sample was great on that one!

Got a saison in the fermenter and brewed an iPA (lower ABV IPA) today. Keg them both in about two weeks.

Does this method lead to a higher possibility of DMS in the final beer due to less boiling time? I've never boiled for less than 60 min so I have no experience.

Does this method lead to a higher possibility of DMS in the final beer due to less boiling time? I've never boiled for less than 60 min so I have no experience.

Not at all- you don't get DMS issues with extract. You can even add much of the extract at flame out, as extract doesn't even really need a boil.

Back