30-ish year hiatus

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Orlanth

Reaction score
Hi all,
I introduced family and friends to simple homebrewing back in the early 90s and then put it away, but recently am thinking of giving it another go with a new all-in-one BIAB system. I can't find a domestic Helles that hits the sweet spot for me that I used to enjoy when I lived for a spell in Bavaria in the 80's, so I have cause. I am unsure though if the touch of arthritis in my spine will hold up to stirring the mash. Any thoughts on this? I am beginning to picture brewing in an Anvil Foundry and wondering how hard it is for a guy with a slight frame to stir the mash.

Welcome. A lot of things have changed over the last 30 years for sure. I can’t comment on the Foundry, but I’ve brewed this Helles recipe multiple times and it is awesome. I replaced the CaraPils with carafoam to keep my grain bill all German malt and used dry 34/70 yeast instead. It makes a great beer.
https://www.homebrewtalk.com/threads/biermunchers-“helles-belles”-munich-helles-ag.48985/ 50C90DE8-B032-4548-BAE4-27BD49A237EC.jpeg

I am unsure though if the touch of arthritis in my spine will hold up to stirring the mash. Any thoughts on this?
In my own experience, brewing smaller batches was the solution.
During a year before my heart surgery it was impossible to me to properly stir the mash or to drain the standard size bag. So, I went small and liked it so much, I still mostly brew 5L/1.5G batches even after regaining the physical ability. The main advantage is that now I brew weekly and have some 20 or 25 different beers to choose from at any moment. If I brewed the same volume in standard size batches, the choise would have been limited just to 4 of 5.

In my own experience, brewing smaller batches was the solution.
During a year before my heart surgery it was impossible to me to properly stir the mash or to drain the standard size bag. So, I went small and liked it so much, I still mostly brew 5L/1.5G batches even after regaining the physical ability. The main advantage is that now I brew weekly and have some 20 or 25 different beers to choose from at any moment. If I brewed the same volume in standard size batches, the choise would have been limited just to 4 of 5.
Thanks for offering that, Protos. I'm giving serious thought to that. I saw that the Anvil has an attachment that allows for brewing smaller batches, so I'm thinking of getting it.

Back