30 gallon Drums for Primary?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

HawleyFarms

Reaction score
So a friend of mine was able to bring me five 55 gallon plastic drums used for flavorings at a brewery. He also brought me a few 30 gallon and 5-10 gallon barrels. I planned on using them to start making bigger batches of cider, beer and mead as well as using some for other purposes.

My question is: the 30 gallon barrels held Neutral Cloud. As long as they are washed well, is it going to be a problem to do primary fermentation in a barrel that held cloud? Or should I just nix my plans. The 50 gallon barrels just held 55% alcohol flavorings for Mike's Hard so I'm not worried about those. Just wondering if there will be a problem using the ones that had Neutral Cloud in them.

Any experiences with using old cloud barrels?

So a friend of mine was able to bring me five 55 gallon plastic drums used for flavorings at a brewery. He also brought me a few 30 gallon and 5-10 gallon barrels. I planned on using them to start making bigger batches of cider, beer and mead as well as using some for other purposes.

My question is: the 30 gallon barrels held Neutral Cloud. As long as they are washed well, is it going to be a problem to do primary fermentation in a barrel that held cloud? Or should I just nix my plans. The 50 gallon barrels just held 55% alcohol flavorings for Mike's Hard so I'm not worried about those. Just wondering if there will be a problem using the ones that had Neutral Cloud in them.

Any experiences with using old cloud barrels?
:off:
HMM I know another Guy pretty well outside of Varysburg that makes cider, beer and maple syrup. hes who inspired me to start brewing He has an elevator and walk in cooler under his brewshed!.. Small world.. I have a place at buffalo hill.. Been going there since I was a kid.

The clouding agent was likely vegetable or citrus oil emulsified with something like gum arabic. All food grade no doubt. I guess there could be some concern about the oil clinging to the (plastic was it?) barrel, a good cleaning should fix you right up. Maybe a soak with some oxi clean free.

:off:
HMM I know another Guy pretty well outside of Varysburg that makes cider, beer and maple syrup. hes who inspired me to start brewing He has an elevator and walk in cooler under his brewshed!.. Small world.. I have a place at buffalo hill.. Been going there since I was a kid.

Varysburg you say? Let him know we are starting a wyoming county brew club. I make maple syrup myself. His setup sounds pretty advanced! I am hoping to start working on a brewshed myself with a root cellar under it. Small world!

The clouding agent was likely vegetable or citrus oil emulsified with something like gum arabic. All food grade no doubt. I guess there could be some concern about the oil clinging to the (plastic was it?) barrel, a good cleaning should fix you right up. Maybe a soak with some oxi clean free.

Yes, vegetable oil and gum Arabic I believe. Hoping to cut the oil with some vinegar and or cleaner.

Glad to hear it will, or at least, should clean up for me.

Back