3 yo brett saison w/ WLP670 "solera"?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

gravity84

Reaction score
I have a Brett saison that I put into secondary and intended to age for 6 months that I forgot about since "out of sight out of mind" but it's now been 3 years...

Was fermented with WLP670 back when it was a limited release by White Labs (lol). I was thinking maybe doing something sort of solera style where I top off with fresh wort, referment, then rack off and bottle half, top off again with fresh wort, repeat, etc. Does this sound like a dumb idea or something that could work? How likely is it that there are any usable yeasts left? I know the saccharomyces are probably long deceased, is the brett dead too? Probably would need to do something like WLP568 or something.

I was thinking maybe even putting some oak spirals in and doing a fake barrel age kind of thing? Is this also dumb? help

what does it taste like? that should give you some indication of what you should do with it. i like the solera idea. also, it might be good blended with a young sour (berliner-type) or a clean saison for added complexity. i wish i just found a lost brett carboy!

Definitely give it a taste. You could remove a portion add fresh yeast and bottle, and then use the remainder for a solera project. The taste of the aged beer should give you some ideas about what to add.

Wanting to know the taste as well, lol!

I have aged a gallon of sour beer with dregs from commercial sour beer for nearly 2 years. The Brett, whatever strains were in there, were definitely alive and kicking as I have since stepped it up to a 5 gallon batch and started a Solera process with it (I am not sure yet about the bacterias). Without pitching new yeast, the Brett took off like a bat out of hell.

What you could do is go ahead and Solera, and if you don't get activity after 7 days, pitch fresh Brett (or Sacch/Brett). This is all assuming your beer still tastes great, which I have a feeling it does. :)

awwwwwriiiiight here we go!

9844_10101128843001438_1532658857_n.jpg

Smells wonderful, bright, a bit like a dry tart cider with a tinge of funk, not at all what I was expecting. I really abused this stuff, it was in my garage fermenting, and I live in inland LA, temps in there swing up to 110 F or more in the summer...

Taste is tart, though not puckeringly so, reminds me a lot of Jolly Pumpkin's Bam Biere with a slight musty dusty note like an old house attic or something. Pretty cool.

original recipe from way back when in my logbook:
9# 2-row pale
1.75# Munich
0.75# CaraVienne
1# Demerara Sugar

0.5 oz citra, pellets, FWH
2 oz East Kent Goldings, pellets, 5 min

original gravity hit was 1.061
final gravity measured with a refractometer and corrected for alcohol using an online calculator: 1.001 (!)
~8% ABV.

:mug:

Now I definitely don't know what to do with it. If I bottle conditioned the whole thing how would I prime this? Do I have to account for the brett? I don't wanna bottle bomb a 3 year old fermentation

That beer is totally fermented out, so no worries about bottle bombs. Add a little fresh yeast for bottling (doesn't really matter what kind) and carbonate a little higher than you would for a regular beer.

When you bottle a beer that has only been in primary for a few weeks there is residual CO2 and most calculators take that into account. This beer will be a lot flatter than that from aging for so long. So, if you are shooting for something like 2.5 volumes, you might have to prime enough for 3 volumes to make up the difference.

Glad the beer is awesome. Have fun with that one!

if you've still got active brett in there, it will carb the bottle. it just might take some time, like a month or two. if you want to drink faster, or you're not positive that there is active brett, add a very small amount of wine/champagne yeast at bottling.

Latest posts

Back