3+ weeks and no carb on my dipa

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

olotti

Reaction score
It's just over 3 weeks bottled for my 9.3% dipa and there's really no semblance of carbonation. I've had the bottles in my closet upstairs where it's 68-70 deg. I used a huge starter of wlp001 and hit my FG of 1.008 and only kept the beer in primary for 21 days and that included dry hopping and a cold crash. I used my usual 4.5 oz of corn sugar in 5 gal to bottle condition with. im guessing just be a little more patient I'm just afraid the hops are going to start to fade although this came in at over 100 ibu's so maybe this has a little better shelf life. As u can tell I'm impatient so maybe I'll use a little cbc-1 next time as that carbed my 11% bba stout in 4 weeks.

Can you put them someplace where it's about 75*F? That bump in temp will help.

My guess is that it'll eventually carb.

I have a scottish wee heavy that has been in bottles for 6 months and still isn't carbed. I'll wait till it's hot and put them somewhere around 75 and see if they carb more. Now I have kegs so no more messing with natural carbing.

I've had some luck, with those higher gravity beers that won't carb up as fast as I would like, by tipping the bottles upside down and gently swirling to get the sediment back in suspension.

I usually don't try this until I give the bottles a month or so on their own...

Did you use normal bottles or short bottles (Sierra Nevada)? I've made an IPA before and bottled half in tall and half in short to see if there was any difference and the short bottles were much less carbonated.

I've had some luck, with those higher gravity beers that won't carb up as fast as I would like, by tipping the bottles upside down and gently swirling to get the sediment back in suspension.

I usually don't try this until I give the bottles a month or so on their own...

Maybe I'll try this combined with moving them to a warmer spot and see if this helps.

I brewed a big IIPA (10%) in mid-January and it didn't carb until a week
ago. Every other beer I've done carbed in two weeks or so and after trying one every other week, I gave up on it. Last week I found it in the garage and I cooled one and opened it up. It tasted like a beer that was carbed but still had some residual sweetness and needed more time.
My lesson learned was bigger beers take a lot more time. Sometimes a lot more than you think.

that included dry hopping and a cold crash

Cold crash isn't something I did back when I was bottling - that intentionally puts the yeast to sleep and settles it out. I'm pretty sure it will carb but it's going to take longer with less yeast present.

Cold crash isn't something I did back when I was bottling - that intentionally puts the yeast to sleep and settles it out. I'm pretty sure it will carb but it's going to take longer with less yeast present.

Yes and no. I cold crash every time for 3-4 days and almost all my beers are carbed within 2 weeks.

Back