3 Week Primary?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

cridden

Reaction score
I want to put on my wine kit and the instructions call for approx a 1 week primary fermentation then rack to secondary (ballpark). I am going away for 3 weeks, and was wondering if i could leave in primary for 3 weeks until i come back?
I'd like to have it ready for Christmas time, so i want to get it on now.
Can anyone see a problem here? Or should i just wait until i come back?

You can only leave it for so long if you put an air valve on it while your gone. If you put on an air valve too early it might clog up and burst your carboy. ( Bad idea)
Let your wine go at least until spring. 2 months isn't going to make it worth drinking.

Kits are designed to be drunk early usually, but that means following the instructions. I don't think leaving it for three weeks in primary, then racking, clarifying, and degassing and then bottling will give you enough time to have it ready for Christmas. Even a 4 week kit is ready for bottles at 4 weeks (following the directions) but not normally consumed right then.

I'd say normally it wouldn't hurt anything to leave a kit in primary for three weeks, if you have it under an air lock and it isn't one of those kits with the grape skins. And I do agree with everyone else that it will not be ready or very drinkable by Christmas, especially if it's a red.

If you want to serve wine at a Christmas gathering you should be starting now with plans to serve it next year. Wine takes a little planning and forethought.

If you're set on serving the fermented fruits of your labor, have you considered going with something that has a shorter time frame, like a cider? There are lots of good recipes out there for country ciders that can be ready in a few weeks. A spiced cider would be especially good at Christmas, and would probably even be ready for Thanksgiving if you started it this weekend.

Oh wait, you're going out of town. Scratch the thanksgiving suggestion.

Back