3-Prong 220v-only vs 4-prong 120v/220v

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

TheZymurgist

Reaction score
As I'm planning my conversion from propane to electric, one thing I'm having trouble deciding is whether go with a 3-prong system running everything on 220v, or using the 4-prong plug adding in the ability to run some things on 120v. The only things I'm going to be running in my system are two heating elements, a pump, and one temperature controller. The pump and temp controller are both run on 220v, so the only thing that I would potentially use 120v for would be the switches. One person suggested I go with the 120v capability for flexibility in the future, but I have no interest in changing anything in my process and don't forsee any need to run any other components. Another said he didn't like the thought of having 220v running through his switches, which might be exposed to water, which, if that's truly a concern, then that would answer my question.

I figured I'd get suggestions from people that have far more experience with this stuff than I do. Thanks!

Most switches that are rated at 120v are also rated for 208/220/240. Check the specs for sure. Nearly every part you might consider using is either rated for both voltages, or available in both. Since you have all the parts you need already, and don't plan any changes there is little motivation to have the 4th wire (neutral). From a cost perspective it is a minimal cost to have it available, unless you plan to run a whole new circuit from a panel. But even then it's not much for that 4th wire.

From a safety perspective, either one can kill you equally, and no wiring should be exposed to water regardless of voltage. That's an accident waiting to happen.

And far and a way the most important is that you are on a GFCI protected circuit.

^agreed^ - all of it. Including running the fourth wire, just on GPs.
It's hella easier and way cheaper than some day wishing you had - for whatever reason you may come up with...

Cheers!

Latest posts

Back