3-piece airlock question

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

erockdoc

Reaction score
Hi all, this may be tricky to describe, but I'll try to be clear.

I have a 2.5 gallon batch of lactobacillus that has been sitting for about 3 weeks (it is half of a berliner weiss). For some reason I cannot seem to keep sanitizer solution in the airlock, it keeps getting sucked into the carboy and/or evaporating. The floating piece of the airlock does not float when I go to add more solution. It just stays put and sanitizer ends up leaking into the carboy.

I have a theory that it is not working because there are no gases escaping the carboy through the airlock, so the floating piece of the 3-piece airlock never gets gas in it.

Anyone ever experience trouble trying to refill a dried airlock while it is still on the carboy? How do you fill it back up and make the floating piece float?

I know, I feel like an ass asking how to fill an airlock :cross: I've been brewing 6 years and now I can't figure out the dang airlock!

You having wild temperature swings?

I would think that since you already have bugs in it (on purpose) you may as well pop the lid off, and lift the float then fill and reinstall the float.

You having wild temperature swings?

I would think that since you already have bugs in it (on purpose) you may as well pop the lid off, and lift the float then fill and reinstall the float.

I like the way you think, haha. I don't think it's the temperature fluctuations, I have other carboys in the same closet that don't keep drying out.

I am lazy. If i can expose a brew to having the airlock off long enough to clean out an overflow, a few seconds to even out pressure and top off the airlock should be nothing. Also, usually sours have some O2 exposure, that is what helps form the pellacle and casks breathe too so I think you would be more than good with a short period of being airlock free.

Latest posts

Back