3 month old starter - should I use it?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

KepowOb

Supporting Member
HBT Supporter
Reaction score
So my homebrewing took a huge hit back in September when I got a new job which ate into almost all of my free time.

The job offer came out of the blue, and just before it came up I was getting ready for my next back and had a starter going. It's 3 odd months old now. Do I dump it and get some new yeast, or should I just decant and start it going again?

If I start growing it back up, what type of calculations would I be using to figure out what size / how many steps I would need to up to a good pitching rate?

Nothing to lose by building it back up. I would just decant, add some fresh wort back in, and see what happens.

In my world, pitch rate calculators are all about the bells and whistles. But, suit yourself.

Cheers,

Enter your original numbers in a pitch rate/starter calculator. This will give you an estimate of how many billions of cells produced with starter number one. (No original numbers? Estimate 1 billion cells per ml, reduced by viability loss over the three months.)
Enter this number into the calculator, with the production date of three months ago, build the starter from there for the number of cells you will need.

I like this calculator. http://www.brewersfriend.com/yeast-pitch-rate-and-starter-calculator/

Calculate for pitching at least 15% more cells than needed for insurance.

Latest posts

Back