3-month old New Castle in Fermenter

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Nickeldeposit

Reaction score
Back on 3/8/2009 I brewed up a New Castle clone and haven’t touched it since. It has never moved from its primary fermenter. I was looking to bottle it up this weekend, but was wondering if the yeast would still be able to carb up in bottles.

It should work just fine.

+1

3 months is quite some time for sitting on the yeast though -- you may taste a tad of Autolysis. But if you pitched healthy yeast and kept the temperature under control, it should be fine. Definitely enough yeast in suspension to carbonate, especially if you used a british ale strain.

Yuri is a wise man and you should listen to him. I'm notorious for leaving beer for months in the primary. I've never had an issue with beer not carbonating or any other problem for that matter.

FWIW,

I brewed a batch of YooperBrew's Cream Ale on January 3 2009, got really busy in life and completely forgot about it. I even dry-hopped in the primary. I was sure the batch was ruined. I had some free time a couple of weeks ago and bottled it, for better or worse. Two weeks later, carbonation is great and on a quaffable scale of 1-10 I give it an 11. This is definitely the best batch I've brewed! (I don't know if I have the nerve to try it again, though.)

What I like best about this passion/hobby is there is always something new to learn.

Back