3 gallon recipes

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Easiest method is just do a linear scale based upon volumes. This will get you close, but not an exact replication of the original recipe. Differences in process can lead to significant differences in results.

The best method is to use software to scale the recipe to better fit your process. To make the most of these programs, you will need to define your process capabilities (efficiency, losses, boil off rate, etc.).

I use BeerSmith, but BrewFather and Brewer's Friend are also good choices. I believe all offer an initial trial period to test the software to see which works best for you. BeerSmith is computer based and the other two are on-line applications.

Its a lot easier when recipes that you find have the % of the bill listed. Then you can adjust by that. Or math it out yourself, but nuts to that. They can vary quite a bit based on your own systems efficiencies and quirks, but after a couple of brews you should be pretty locked in.

https://www.brewersfriend.com/homebrew/recipe/calculator
I used that off my phone for a few brews before I realized that I could find a program on my MacBook. Now I use beersmith.

It is really easy in BeerSmith. I make 10 liter batches as my standard size. I can enter in any recipe with the amounts which are published and then use the slider to adjust the OG, IBU, and even color if wanted to match the targets from the original.

Back