3 gallon kegerator help

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Vongo

Reaction score
I am interested in putting together a 2 ½ or 3 gallon kegerator. I brew 5 gallon batches and want to keg half and bottle half. Has anyone built one ? Any fridge suggestions ? any help would be greatly appreciated.
Thanks !

I went down the same path and ended up doing the "traditional" Wal-Mart Danby 4.4 cu ft kegerator conversion even though I use 3 gal cornies exclusively. While there are smaller fridges that will fit 3gal cornies, they end up being very awkward hight-wise unless you build a short stand for it to sit on.

The 4.4 kegerator would be far easier to sell later and it always gives you the option of moving to 5gal cornies in the future, should the mood ever strike.

jkarp said:
I went down the same path and ended up doing the "traditional" Wal-Mart Danby 4.4 cu ft kegerator conversion even though I use 3 gal cornies exclusively. While there are smaller fridges that will fit 3gal cornies, they end up being very awkward hight-wise unless you build a short stand for it to sit on.

The 4.4 kegerator would be far easier to sell later and it always gives you the option of moving to 5gal cornies in the future, should the mood ever strike.

Thanks for the info. Did you have to make any modification or remove the door shelf unit for the kegs to fit?

Vongo said:
Thanks for the info. Did you have to make any modification or remove the door shelf unit for the kegs to fit?

One of the things I was thinking of was one of those small cube type fridges and making a counter top type unit.

Here's a build on the Danby.

With the tower on top, even if you find a countertop fridge that perfectly fits 3 gal cornies, your tap will be 35" off the counter and about 6 feet off the ground. Hmm... maybe if you ran the taps out the door front...

Note you'd also have to resort to a small paintball CO2 tank as a regular 5 lb tank with regulator is about 21" tall.

Great pics. With the small cube type fridge I would run the tap out the front. Already ordered two 20oz paint ball co2 tanks and a mini regulator.

Great pics. With the small cube type fridge I would run the tap out the front. Already ordered two 20oz paint ball co2 tanks and a mini regulator.

That could end up being a VERY clever build. Time to drag one of your cornies to HD / Lowe's and start test-fitting!

Looks like the counter top build cube is going to be tough to do and keep the beer cold. Going with a fridgidaire 4.4 plans are to get three 2.5 gallon kegs going.

Back