3 Gallon Extract Question

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

King_Coaster

Reaction score
I have been making 23L (6 gal) canned beer kits and adding extra malt or sugar or enhancers to the canned goo to make the beer better then fermenting and splitting into 2 x 3 gal kegs for serving.

So reading over John Palmer's site he states that the LME ratio to make beer is 1 - 1.5 lb per gal. I have noticed that most of these beer kits are 1.5 to 1.9 kg of LME (3.3 to 4.18 lbs) so in my mind it stands to reason that if I just do 3 gal batches, I wouldn't need to add anything but yeast & 3 gal of water to the kit to make 1 x 3 gal keg of beer. Or I could just buy 2 kilos (4.4 lb) of DME and some hops and away I go...

Would I be correct in this assumption?

Also would I need to use smaller pails & carboys for this? I am currently using 27L pails for primary & I think 24L carboys for secondary.

Thx

the 1.5 pounds per gallon of water seems about right based on my usage but I would visit Brewers Friend website or download Beersmith and use that to do some calculating and take the guess work of the end result. :mug:

Back