3 gallon batch in 5 gallon kettle?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

JakeSparrow

Reaction score
So let me start this off by saying I already have a 20 gallon kettle that I can use for 10-15 gallon batches. But I will be moving into a condo from a house, so I was looking into something smaller, and 3 gallon batches sound nice since they are a lot easier to work with, I can brew more for the price and when it's scorching hot outside I can brew indoors in a nice cool environment (with no wind!). I saw NB has a great deal on a darkstar burner + brew kit + free 5 gal SS kettle. I'd really like to pull the trigger on this deal, my question is would I be able to do 3 gal BIAB in a 5 gal kettle? Or would I have to stick to partial mashes? When it comes to brewing, I'd much rather do three 3 gal batches then ONE 10 gallon batch for the cost of ingredients. It'd be easier to keep a varied pipeline going too. And having the burner will be good for me to brew outdoors when the weather is good.

Could also do 2.5 gal batches, might be better off so there will be more room and the added bonus of easily converting 5 gal recipes.

http://www.northernbrewer.com/shop/...aise-your-game-ii-brew-kettle-burner-kit.html

Also saw this too, while it doesn't come with a free recipe kit, it is guaranteed to be large enough for my 3 gallon BIAB batches and 5 gallon partial or extract mashes. Wish I could see reviews for just the kettle itself but it looks like it has gallon etchings on the side which would be useful. Overall looks like a better pot than the 5 gal free one.

I do 10 liter (~2.5 gal) batches regularly. I find the size just about right for my stove to handle and convenient for me to brew. It also gives me more opportunities to brew a greater selection of beers and to make those small corrections in a recipe to improve it without having to swallow my way through two cases of beer when I already know that I want to change it.

And you are correct, if you like a standard 5 or 6 gal recipe it is really easy to convert it.

Use a mash volume calculator ... I like "can I mash it" from the Green Bay Rackers...

Take your favorite recipe, scale it to 3 gallons And use the mash volume calculator to see how much space the grains plus water will require.

I do 6.5 gallon biab batches in a 10 gallon kettle. So I suspect you'll be fine. I typically do dunk sparge in a separate vessel, though. 12-13 lbs of grain , 7G strike water, 1.5G for dunk sparge

Not really related to the question you asked, but I wanted to make sure you don't plan to use the burner inside. Those style of burners are not meant to be used inside, they do not combust as fully as a stove burner, and output carbon monoxide.

I do 10 liter (~2.5 gal) batches regularly. I find the size just about right for my stove to handle and convenient for me to brew. It also gives me more opportunities to brew a greater selection of beers and to make those small corrections in a recipe to improve it without having to swallow my way through two cases of beer when I already know that I want to change it.

And you are correct, if you like a standard 5 or 6 gal recipe it is really easy to convert it.

I agree. I like variety over quantity. Plus much better to do SMaSH beers. I'm just worried about the quality of the pot itself.

Use a mash volume calculator ... I like "can I mash it" from the Green Bay Rackers...

Take your favorite recipe, scale it to 3 gallons And use the mash volume calculator to see how much space the grains plus water will require.

I do 6.5 gallon biab batches in a 10 gallon kettle. So I suspect you'll be fine. I typically do dunk sparge in a separate vessel, though. 12-13 lbs of grain , 7G strike water, 1.5G for dunk sparge

Good to know, most likely will be going for the 7.5 g kettle to keep my options open not to mention the quality is better. So doing a 3.25 g batch shouldn't be a problem then, and I will definitely use that calculator, thanks!

Not really related to the question you asked, but I wanted to make sure you don't plan to use the burner inside. Those style of burners are not meant to be used inside, they do not combust as fully as a stove burner, and output carbon monoxide.

Ah no way would I be doing that haha, I meant that when it's pleasant weather outdoors, or if I'm doin a batch larger than 2.5, then the burner is a great option. And when it's 100+ degrees outside, I can use the small kettle for indoor use.

All in all, though getting a kettle for free is intriguing, I'd rather have options and a higher quality kettle. Think I'll go with the "raise your game II' package from NB, even though I don't know anything about the kettle (at least it has measurement etchings!).

Well, 3 gallon brew in a bag, if you're doing a full volume mash, is pushing it for a 5 gallon kettle. You could always do a normal mash in a bag in the 5 gallon kettle, then pull the bag and dunk sparge it in another kettle, then combine the two "runnings" into the 5 gallon kettle. Easy and still keeps you inside where you don't have to worry about the weather on brew day. That's why I brew inside, but I do 4 gallon batches, mash in a bag in a 5 gallon cooler. Love it. I usually end up with about 3.5 gallons of finished beer.

Latest posts

Back