3 FLoyds Zombie Dust attempt. Help/info requested

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I have had great results with 1968 (same as WLP002). S-04 works well also.

Bottled my first batch on Wednesday, and we used 1968. Brewing this again on Sunday with S-04. It will be interesting for me to compare (if any of the 1968 bottles are left) the two yeasts. Though it probably won't be a fair comparison. I'll be using a different (and improved, I believe) method for the partial mash.

I brewed this recipe a while back, just tapped it tonight. Fantastic, really, really good. Brew it! I'd like to say more here but I need to get another pint.

Last time I made it I started with 6.5 gallons preboil, and after bottling I had pretty much exactly 5 gallons. I expect the same numbers tomorrow. Should I scale back the FWH a tad?

How much priming sugar are you guys using for this? Not sure if this is considered an IPA or an APA so not sure how much to carb this one.

I would shoot for a carbonation level of 2.5 vol. of CO2. Which is just outside the IPA carbonation level. The slightly higher CO2 level will boost hop aroma.

Couple questions.
I am going to scale this down and brew a 1 gallon brew (w pics!) this week. Is the current recipe the updated recipe on page 1? And I just want to double check this is a 6 gallon recipe? As in 6 gallon fermentor? That seems a bit strange?

Also I don't see much info on fermentation. I plan on s-04. So assuming 64ish for 21 days? Dry hopping last 10? Then 2 weeks to carb and a few days in fridge?

pulseyou said:
Couple questions.
I am going to scale this down and brew a 1 gallon brew (w pics!) this week. Is the current recipe the updated recipe on page 1? And I just want to double check this is a 6 gallon recipe? As in 6 gallon fermentor? That seems a bit strange?

Also I don't see much info on fermentation. I plan on s-04. So assuming 64ish for 21 days? Dry hopping last 10? Then 2 weeks to carb and a few days in fridge?

I usually get 6g post boil, 5.5 to fermenter, 5 to keg.

62-64F for 10-14, then dry hop and keg/bottle

All grain or extract? My extract version read really high (read 129+) but when I brewed it up yesterday, even though my 5 galllon kettle was just a few inches down, I came out with 3 gallons of wort. All of the watering down will cut through that quickly. Also, I use QBrew, not beersmith.

All grain. I used the IBUS scaler to scale it to 60 ibus but just wondering why the difference. The AA on beersmith is actually LESS than the recipe on first page so this makes even less sense

Brewed this a couple weekends ago, with a couple small changes. Swapped Vienna for Munich, .5oz Summit in place of the Citra FWH, and used WLP002 English Ale for the yeast. This is a fantastically fruity brew. I've made similar brews in the past while cloning an old recipe for a local brewery, called Foothills Jade IPA. They combined Pacific Jade hops with Citra and used WLP 007 to make a fruity IPA. But the recipe has changed to make it easier/more cost effective to brew (Citra is hard to get), and now the beer is boring. But this Zombie Dust clone is great, even fruitier than my previous brews. I mashed pretty low (148) since WLP002 doesn't normally attenuate well, but then after stirring in my Citra leaf hops the yeast re-activated and I still got 80% attenuation. But it doesn't matter, it's still a citrusy fruit bomb, and I love it. And I've had a few pints of it so sorry if this makes no sense lol.

What was your finishing gravity?

Sorry, missed your question earlier. I went from 1.068 to 1.013. When I first gravity checked it it had stopped at 1.018, which is what I wanted, but then after dry hopping with leaf hops and gently stirring in the hops the yeast woke back up and knocked another 5 points off. Oh well, it still tastes good, just slightly more bitter than planned. WLP002 usually doesn't attenuate that high, since it drops so quickly.

I just put 10 gallons into fermenters - thanks again for the recipe.

an idea, since I just went through a great deal of citra in one day.

since the FWH/60 minute addition is almost all bitterness perhaps using a cheaper hop would work. something clean bittering like magnum.

Sorry, missed your question earlier. I went from 1.068 to 1.013. When I first gravity checked it it had stopped at 1.018, which is what I wanted, but then after dry hopping with leaf hops and gently stirring in the hops the yeast woke back up and knocked another 5 points off. Oh well, it still tastes good, just slightly more bitter than planned. WLP002 usually doesn't attenuate that high, since it drops so quickly.

Right on, thanks. I also used WLP002, and was concerned that my version wouldn't attenuate enough. I ended up mashing at 152-153, a little lower than recommended, for just over an hour. It's now been 5 days fermenting. Most of the fermentation happened at 64, and on day 4 I brought it upstairs to free rise up to 68 to help finish it off.

I'm going to stop by my LHBS to pick up a new hydrometer (my third), since I broke mine while cleaning up after the zombie dust. So we'll see where I'm sitting at, gravity wise. Hopefully right in the 1.016-1.018 range.

Tasted our first attempt after 3.5 weeks in the bottle. It was a little foamy and darn good, but not quite there. I'm thinking another week or two in the fridge should help both accounts since it's only been in the fridge a couple of days.

Sampled our second attempt as we bottled this one today. My brewing buddy and I both tasted a lot of banana, so I'm not quite sure what that's about! I'm hoping that will clear up in about a month as it carbs and conditions. I'm not sure if it was the yeast or not, but this batch we used s-04, whereas we used 1968 in the first batch.

Just finished a blind tasting of my third attempt at this vs. bottles picked up from the brewery two weeks ago and kept cold.

I brewed on 2/14/3
Used crystal 40 instead of 60 since I used pale malt (which is slightly darker than 2 row?)
1.060 OG finished at 1.016
1968 with starter pitched at 54 and fermented warm at 73.
Dry hopped 3.5 oz

Keg/brite tank for two weeks pushed by gas to serving keg.

Did this blind so I could avoid being influenced by what I thought would be the little lingering yeast from the brite tank. Turned out to be a non factor as the beers looked exactly the same.

Aroma was dead on and really couldn't tell a difference. I did pick correctly mine as I thought it was a smidgen stronger attributed to freshness.

Flavor was tricky. One of them had a noticeable mild harshness relative to the other. It also had a less clean flavor to it. At first I thought this was mine due to any lingering yeast. The more I sampled each, the more I felt mine was the cleaner of the two which turned out to be correct. My wife had a different take on this and picked mine out correctly as being the more "watery" of the two.

In any event, it was like splitting hairs and if you didn't drink them side by side with a thinking cap on, you could sell this as zombie dust.

Skeezer - any thoughts for adjusting the body? Could this be a result of my mashing? I use Blichmann Boilermaker with the false bottom and have produced my fair share of 1st place beers.

Thanks!

I just put 10 gallons into fermenters - thanks again for the recipe.

an idea, since I just went through a great deal of citra in one day.

since the FWH/60 minute addition is almost all bitterness perhaps using a cheaper hop would work. something clean bittering like magnum.

I've tried this exact same thing with Magnum. All I can say is DON'T DO IT.
While it's a great beer, it is not the same. It has a harsher bitterness that just isn't right for this brew.

Took a break from brewing through this long, cold, and miserable winter but brewed this up at the end of February. I can't compare it to Zombie Dust as I have never had it but I have a feeling this keg won't last long and I will definitely be brewing this again!! Thanks for the recipe!

Photo Mar 22, 9 19 32 PM.jpg

Photo Mar 22, 9 23 20 PM.jpg

Photo Mar 22, 9 24 26 PM.jpg

For those of you who bottled, how long did you find it took to reach its sweet spot? I tried one after 3 weeks at 65 and one week in the fridge, and it wasn't there yet. I'm sure I probably had an error or three along the way as well :)

One bottle left:confused :( saving for Easter but it looks really good sitting there ice cold in the fridge. Guess I'll do pale ale and Stout half and half.

In! Got this coming up the pipeline next after I bottle a saison. 5g partial mash version, more grain/less dme than original recipe listed on page 1. Can't wait! :mug:

A lb. of Citra just arrived in the mail. Grain is on track to arrive tomorrow. Brewing this on Saturday (hopefully).

I brewed this last weekend, and so far is looking and smelling amazing. I can't wait to drink it. Will post results once it is finished.

Need a little help as this will be my first brew involving a mini-mash. I plan on doing a 2.5 gallon version of this brew next week. Looks something like this:

Batch Size: 2.5 gallons
Estimated Original Gravity: 1.061
Estimated Final Gravity: 1.015
Estimated Color: 9.9 SRM
Bitterness: 72.4 IBU
Mash Temp 151 F (45 min)

3.00 lb Extra Light Dry Extract
0.50 lb Munich Malt-10L
0.25 lb Carafoam
0.25 lb Crystal Malt-60L
0.25 lb Melanoidin Malt
0.25 oz Citra [14.1%] (First Wort Hop) 15.6 IBU
0.50 oz Citra [14.1%] (15 min) 25.6 IBU
0.50 oz Citra [14.1%] (10 min) 18.7 IBU
0.50 oz Citra [14.1%] (5 min) 10.3 IBU
0.50 oz Citra [14.1%] (1 min) 2.2 IBU
1.50 oz Citra [14.1%] (Dry Hop 10 Days)
Safale S-04 Dry Ale Yeast

I plan on doing a full boil as I have a 5 gallon kettle. I do have a few questions however.
1- What volume of water/wort should I start the boil with to finish with 2.5 gallons?
2- How much water do I mash with? A gallon? Then top up to boil volume?
3- Should I add the 60 min addition since it will be a full boil? My BrewR app has it at 72.4 IBU w/o it and 98 IBU with 0.25 oz at 60 min.

Thank you in advance and a big thanks to skeezerpleezer for the recipe.

Latest posts

Back