3 chamber temp control

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

snowman_fs

Reaction score
Anyone tried a temperature controlled three chamber build before?

My goals would be:
1. Have space for cold crashing or lagering two corney kegs @ 2-4 Deg C.
2. Holding serving temps for 4 corney kegs @ 7-9 Deg C.
3. Space to ferment 2 carboys or one 15g conical @ 12-25 Deg C.

Each of the three chambers would be separated by insulated walls and fans mounted in opposite directions, with simple self closing louvers to prevent heat leakage between chambers. The control would come from 3x STC's using both the heating and cooling outputs to control each chamber's source of heat/cold. I might also wire in DC speed control on the group of fans to run them slower if needed.

Some points to consider:
1. A heater is needed since the whole thing is exposed to less than fermentation temps in my garage during the winter.
2. The window AC has been working fine as a serving chamber chiller provided the on-board fan is wired to always run and ensure defrost.
3. The A/C is unplugged for the winter until ambient rises above 2 deg C.
4. I'm trying to think about the temperature swings and over/undershoot when one or more chambers are not within their set range or there is a need to drive the temps such as during active fermentation. I can always keep the chambers filled with beer, (or water when beer is not available) to increase the thermal mass and maybe the temperature stability.
5. Fan locations for the overall best heat transfer need to be at mid-elevation and as far apart as possible. Since locating them at the top and bottom of the chambers is a compromise depending on the needed direction of heat flow.

I have most if not all of the pieces to kludge this together so it might be my next project if I can convince myself of a reasonable chance of success. Any input on the basic idea, identified risks or experience is welcome.

3 chamber.jpg

Thanks! It would be a lot better if more of the pics from Huaco were still working. A little different with fermwrap heaters vs a space heater and fans exchanging air. I really like the malt bucket fermenter and the single port pressure racking cane though!

As I was driving home I also thought about incorporating my old chest freezer with a broken compressor into the design for the coldest side since it's probably more efficient at holding temp than my 2" pink board box.

Time to get the tape measure out.

Back