2tier - MLT or HLT on top?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

krenshaw

Supporting Member
HBT Supporter
Reaction score
i'm starting plans on my rig, and because of storage space, i think i've narrowed it down to a 2 tier rather than a 1.. i have a pump, which just means i may try my hand at fly sparging in the future.. my question here is what do most people prefer, the MLT or the HLT on the top of the 2 tier.. my first guess is the HLT because you really don't have to do much to it and i have a sight glass and temp installed in that keggle.. though for fly sparging with one pump and gravity it would seem that it would be better for the MLT to be higher to drain with gravity and sparge with the pump.. any thought from all of you?

I have a 2 tier setup but I believe it's different than you want as none of the vessels are directly over the other. However I chose to gravity drain the Mash to minimize risk of compaction caused by pump suction. But then again both my hlt and mlt are on the second tier and I can easily see into both, so I don't have to fight that issue.

Back