2ndary ferm, degassing, infection?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

JoeMama

Reaction score
See, its times like this that make me think I BETTER get into the habit of using my hydrometer...

I did an AHS pumpkin ale close to a month ago. It had a ridiculous fermentation and finally settled down then cleared. I figured I would just turn down the thermostat in my ferm cabinet to crash cool it while I continued to collect bottles awaiting the bottling phase of this brew (I usually keg)
Well a couple of weeks passed and I ended up brewing some more and turned the temp of the ferm cabinet back up to accomodate this brew. That one finished its ferm so I turned the temperature up a little to let the yeast clean up on the NEW brew. I went in today and looked at the PA and it appeared to be degassing! I have a ring of little bubbles around the edge, and CO2 appears to be surfacing (clouding the beer again in the primary)

No, Im not worried about this batch - just intrigued, and wondering whats going on inside of that glass carboy. Is the beer degassing? I thought this only happened with wines. Or might it have been TOO cold the first time around and the yeast never really finished? (Unlikely with a blow off like that)
This is kind of neat! I usually primary all of my beers at least a month, then keg, but this one appears like its at it again!
-Me

Photo10241506_1.jpg

Photo10241506.jpg

Photo10241506_2.jpg

I think your guess is right on - degassing. CO2 is much less soluble as you warm up. I think it is more noticeable in wines because the ferments evolve so much more CO2, but it applies to beer as well.

Either way its still neato burrito! LOL

I guess I am going to have to crash cool it (again) to get more of the sediments settled again. The degassing really got some stuff stirred up!
Beer is neat.
-Me

Beer is neat. I am so using that quote. Speaking of burritos, beer, and gas, the other beer-gas connection is a major factor in swmbo-imposed homebrew consumption limits. They don't seem to be applied to burritos, though, which seem like a bigger offender to me.

Latest posts

Back